WHS2011 Backup time increased after an unexpected/unexplained error. RRS feed

• Question

• WHS 2011 has been running along for several months with now apparent issues.  For some reason (Comcast Internet Failure?) the Server backup ended abnormally.  I then asked it to back up again in the morning and it completed the task in ~ 50 minutes.  Prior to the failure it took only ~ 12 minutes.  This morning the automatic Server back up ran normally but took 1 hour and 34 minutes to complete.  I did make one change - I deleted the Client System back ups from the Server backup thinking that would speed thing up.  Any suggestions on what I should look for - something has gone amiss with WHS Server back up!  I've got a bunch of screen shots but I don't know how to include them in this forum. 
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 1:13 PM

Answers

• That would do it, same as in Windows 7. As there is no drive extender you did not need to move it from the "pool". The only problem I can think of was if there had been any of the predefined folders left on the drive - WHS would have complained it could not find them the next time you booted, but as there weren't you are good to go.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Ken429 Monday, February 13, 2012 9:10 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 8:14 PM

All replies

• Server backup doesn't care about an internet connection, so that's not the reason for your problem. It's more likely to be a failing hard drive, so I'd say you should use the built-in Dashboard functionality to check all the drives connected to your server for errors.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, February 12, 2012 10:17 PM
  • That is the first thing I did.  No problems reported.
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 11:34 PM
  • Those times don't seem out of the ordinary. Even without ant significant changes, mine alternate between 12 minutes and 90 minutes.

Press the button with the mountain and sun, above to insert images.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 11:47 PM
  • The Server Backup failed again this morning.  It always says Drive E is the problem.  I shutdown WHS and pulled the drive and tried to run the WD Diagnostics program on a standard W7 system.  It hung about half way through the tests.  So I reinstalled the Drive in WHS moved everything from Drive E to D: and would like to delete E: from the WHS 2011 system.  The system currently has three 640 GB WD Black Drives.  The third one is for backups.  So drive 2 (E:) is now empty.  Could someone please tell me what the #$%^ I got to do to tell WHS 2011 I want to physically remove the drive.  In desperation I turned off the Shadow Copy feature for the drive and WHS is doing something very slowly to reduce the used space - it is now holding at .6GB. 

I shutdown WHS, removed the drive and started WHS back up and it seems happy!  So that must be the procedure?

• Edited by Ken429 Monday, February 13, 2012 7:02 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 5:23 PM
  • That would do it, same as in Windows 7. As there is no drive extender you did not need to move it from the "pool". The only problem I can think of was if there had been any of the predefined folders left on the drive - WHS would have complained it could not find them the next time you booted, but as there weren't you are good to go.

• Marked as answer by Ken429 Monday, February 13, 2012 9:10 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 8:14 PM