none
HPC Excel Workbook Configuration Test Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am following one of the HPC/Excel tutorials to test how a spreadsheet computation runs on a cluster.

The guide I am using is the following:

Accelerating Excel® 2010 with Windows® HPC Server 2008 R2: Building VBA Applications and Workbooks for a Windows® HPC Cluster

<wrap anchorx="page" anchory="page">I have a head node with Windows HPC Server 2008 R2  installed and configured along with HPC Pack 2008R2. HPC Pack 2008R2 is also installed on my desktop and Excel 2010 is installed and activated on both machines. After downloading and importing HPC Macro files and writing some simple VB code for testing purposes, I was able to run it on the desktop with no problems.</wrap>

<wrap anchorx="page" anchory="page">However, when running a diagnostics for the next part of the tutorial about running the macro on the cluster, I receive the following message after a failed excel workbook configuration test.</wrap>

<wrap anchorx="page" anchory="page">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</wrap><//span>

Test: Load ExcelService Instance

Message: The Workbook Offloading service configuration could not be loaded for the service "Microsoft.Hpc.Excel.ExcelService_1.0." Please verify that it is installed correctly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that someone had done the installations and configurations before me, I just took over the project, and when I checked the Services tab under Configuration on HPC Cluster Manager, I saw that it was completely empty, not even the default echo test service that should be there was gone. How can this happen?

What might be the cause of these problems? Has the previous installation gone wrong somewhere?

If anyone has found a way to fix these problems without reinstalling the whole system I would be grateful since I do not possess much information about how they did it before me.

Thanks already for all the responses 

Friday, August 17, 2012 7:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Which version of the HPC PACK did you install? TO run excel it requires HPC PACK Enterprise,, and not the Express Edition. //staffan
    Monday, September 17, 2012 9:56 AM