none
Windows Home Server 2011 - How can I delete the systems auto-generated user account? RRS feed

• Question

• Problem Statement: During installation and set-up, WHS 2011 automatically created administrator user account.  My issue is that WHS 2011 did not prompt me to create this user account nor did it ask me for a password.  When I was prompted to restart the computer, the system prompted me for the user account password.  Is this a default account that WHS 2011 creates?  Does Microsoft know the defalt password that was assigned to this by the system? 

I would like to be able to change the password or delete the user account completely.  In order to make changes to the account you need to know the password.  Since this was created by the system without my knowledge, I was not proved the password.  I was able to work around the issue by reinstalling the software and creating my own user account before restarting the system, but I would like to be able to delete the account WHS 2011 automaticlly created during software install and setup.   How can I remove or gain access to this account? 

Questions the Text:

Is this a default account that WHS 2011 creates? 
    Does Microsoft know the defalt password that was assigned to this by the system so that it can be changed?  

Thanks

Saturday, May 5, 2012 11:22 AM

All replies

• First, you really can't delete the Administrator account; that it exists at all is not a problem per se, and Windows Home Server uses it for some of it's functionality.

Normally, if you install Windows Home Server interactively, you will be prompted to set a password for the account during the "Out Of Box Experience" part of setup. If you used a file to set certain parameters during installation so that you wouldn't be prompted automatically, you may have included a password for the administrator account in that file. There's certainly no built in password, however.

As for changing the password, the Administrator account is the account the Dashboard application uses when you connect from a client. It's possible to change the password from within the Dashboard, on the Computers and Backups tab.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, May 5, 2012 12:16 PM
  • Hi,
    sometimes it can happen, that the installation does not finish properly. This may also cause the part of the script to fail, which is ending up with presenting the OOBE configuration screen. There are usually several reboots involved. Did you get any error message? Eventually a driver for the network card is missing.

In this case the account Administrator should not yet have an password.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, May 7, 2012 6:35 PM