To Desktop plug-in RRS feed

• General discussion

• As most of you know when you remote desktop via the web to your WHS machine the console occupies the entire screen and there is no convenient way to access the desktop of your WHS while the console is up.

I've written a little plug-in that allows you to minimize, close or exit full screen from the WHS console.  The UI is a tab in the settings window.  There's no flashy UI or anything, so keep expectations down. Smile

https://platypus.homeserver.com/plugins/ToDesktop.msi

My WHS machine is usually only on during PST daylight hours.  So if the above link doesn't work please try again at a later time.  Someday I'll find a 24x7 place to host the msi.

I consider the plug-in to be beta status.  I doubt I'll ever change the actual actions performed however I may change the UI or name because I'm not satisified with either. That said, no one has tested it but me. Smile

There is some redundancy with exit fullscreen and minimize.  Exiting full screen places a title bar around the WHS console from which you can minimize.

The close command sends a close event to the WHS console window.  This is the same as if you clicked the 'X' on the window.  If that fails then you have the option of killing the process.  Killing the process may result in some undetermined results (although I've killed the console plenty of times and never had any issues).

Enjoy and let me know if you have a questions, concerns or comments.

2/18/2008

Very minor update.  Enabled the maximize button when user selects exit full screen option.  This doesn't quite do what a user would want.  You want it to go full screen without the border so you can maximize screen space.

Updated version to 1.0.1, modified manufacturer to reflect my forum name.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 9:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Liam

Do you want us to host the add-in file over at We Got Served? http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/windows-home-server-add-ins/

We've probably got the bandwidth and up-time you need....

Let me know - you can contact me directly via the site.

Cheers

Terry

Sunday, February 17, 2008 9:34 AM
  •  

Works like a dream.

Thanks for your work

Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:04 AM
  • Lliam,

Nice add on.  I do have one question though.  Can you maximize it after you exit full screen mode?  I would like to be able to go back to full screen mode if possible. 

Nice add on though,

Chuck

Sunday, February 17, 2008 4:04 PM
  •  

Awesome Add-In. I hated the fact that I had to change the web config file to access the desktop remotely to my WHS. I have two questions however:

1. Was the add-in designed to only be accessed through the add-in settings? Or is there a tab button for it?

2. When I access the desktop, how do I go back to the console without opening a new console window?

I would be willing  to donate to this cause if need be.

Thanks - Luiz

Sunday, February 17, 2008 5:43 PM
  •  crarbo1 wrote:

Lliam,

Nice add on.  I do have one question though.  Can you maximize it after you exit full screen mode?  I would like to be able to go back to full screen mode if possible. 

Nice add on though,

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I'll look into getting the maximize button enabled.  If you want to restore the console to the full screen state you'll have to use the log out button from the start menu and re-connect to WHS.

One thing to note, the close, minimize & exit full screen buttons run the explorer.exe (your desktop & directory window) process.  When you log into the WHS server explorer.exe is not running by default and when you close the console it logs you out.  If you use the To Desktop functionality multiple times in a session you'll notice an explorer window pop up every subsequent time (as if you did right-click Explore on My Computer).  I did check for the explorer.exe process to prevent this from happening but I ran into a case with multiple users connecting to the console at once.  The To Desktop only worked for the user who ran the explorer.exe process first.  It appears each session needs to run explorer.exe to get their desktop environment.  I'll look into this, perhaps there's a session id associated with the processes.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:07 PM
  •  ldias wrote:

Awesome Add-In. I hated the fact that I had to change the web config file to access the desktop remotely to my WHS. I have two questions however:

1. Was the add-in designed to only be accessed through the add-in settings? Or is there a tab button for it?

2. When I access the desktop, how do I go back to the console without opening a new console window?

I would be willing  to donate to this cause if need be.

Thanks - Luiz

The add in is designed to be a tab in your settings.  I didn't feel there was enough functionality to create a full blown console tab for it.  Perhaps in the future, I have some other projects in the works and I could always add this to them.

Per question 2, when you say 'new console window' do you mean double clicking the 'Windows Home Server Console' shortcut on the desktop?  If I use the 'Close' button in the 'To Desktop' tab, I start a new console by using the Windows Home Server Console shortcut.  There shouldn't be any issues with this (unless it is really slow).  I suggest using the minimize button on the To Desktop tab if you don't want to close the console.

I'm open to suggestions and don't mind making additions. Smile

Lliam
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:15 PM

• Thanks Terry,

I want to make a few more changes (resulting from the feedback received).  Then I may ask you to host it. Smile

Terry Walsh wrote:

Hi Liam

Do you want us to host the add-in file over at We Got Served? http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/windows-home-server-add-ins/

Cheers

Terry

Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:19 PM
  • Lliam,

Thanks for the quick reply.  If you enable the maximize button then it would be the complete package.  Thanks for letting me how to get it back in the mean time.  I didn't know that.  Thanks for the heads up on the other items as well.

Nice add on,

Chuck 

Lliam wrote:

crarbo1 wrote:

Lliam,

Nice add on though,

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I'll look into getting the maximize button enabled.  If you want to restore the console to the full screen state you'll have to use the log out button from the start menu and re-connect to WHS.

One thing to note, the close, minimize & exit full screen buttons run the explorer.exe (your desktop & directory window) process.  When you log into the WHS server explorer.exe is not running by default and when you close the console it logs you out.  If you use the To Desktop functionality multiple times in a session you'll notice an explorer window pop up every subsequent time (as if you did right-click Explore on My Computer).  I did check for the explorer.exe process to prevent this from happening but I ran into a case with multiple users connecting to the console at once.  The To Desktop only worked for the user who ran the explorer.exe process first.  It appears each session needs to run explorer.exe to get their desktop environment.  I'll look into this, perhaps there's a session id associated with the processes.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:19 PM
  • No worries - it's there if you need it.

Terry

Lliam wrote:

Thanks Terry,

I want to make a few more changes (resulting from the feedback received).  Then I may ask you to host it. Smile

Terry Walsh wrote:

Hi Liam

Cheers

Terry

Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:23 PM
  • Liam

I am sure this is a daft and simple question but how have you set up your server to allow access to your plugins folder without logging in? Have you set it up as a website using WHIIST or WebFolders4WHS?

Sorry for the daft question but would be useful to know.

Cheers

Gareth

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:46 PM
  •  gareth74 wrote:

Liam

I am sure this is a daft and simple question but how have you set up your server to allow access to your plugins folder without logging in? Have you set it up as a website using WHIIST or WebFolders4WHS?

Sorry for the daft question but would be useful to know.

Cheers

Gareth

Gareth,

If you open up the Computer Management screen (right click My Computer and select Manage) and Open up Internet Information Service->Web Sites->Default Web Site.  You can right click on the Default Web Site and do New->Virtual Directory.  Set the name, location & permissions and you're ready to go.  FWIW, I didn't set the virtual directory to point to my actual plug-ins directory.

Good luck!
    Ll

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:41 PM
  •  

Hi,

I had a play with this add in but decided that it wasn't really needed in my case. I uninstalled it and now the console takes about a minute to load, and when it does its the desktop and not the console. How do I revert it back so that the console works as it originally did?

thanks

TLE

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:49 PM
  •  TLE wrote:

Hi,

I had a play with this add in but decided that it wasn't really needed in my case. I uninstalled it and now the console takes about a minute to load, and when it does its the desktop and not the console. How do I revert it back so that the console works as it originally did?

thanks

TLE

Hi TLE,

You can get the console back to normal by logging out.  Generally when you close the remote desktop connection window you're just cancelling the connection but leaving your processes running.  To log out use the "Start" button down in the lower left corner and select "Log Off". (I'm not being condescending, I just want to ensure this gets across correctly Smile )

To be honest, the only things really needed is the minimize button (which doesn't affect how the console comes up).  I wonder if I can somehow stick a minimize button on the main console UI...
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:07 PM
  • LI

thanks for the response - I have followed your directions but it keeps saying i don't have permission to view - do I need to enable the guest account for it to work?

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:54 PM
  •  gareth74 wrote:

LI

thanks for the response - I have followed your directions but it keeps saying i don't have permission to view - do I need to enable the guest account for it to work?

You may have to enable directory browsing on the virtual directory.  Right click, select properties, enable directory browsing.  Otherwise you're limited to only getting files that you know are there.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:23 AM
  • Did you ever manage to get this issue sorted?

I'm having a similar problem with the console taking a long time to load up ... when the add in is installed and after uniostalling it and logging off as directed ...

any help would be appreciated.

Luke T
    Thursday, April 17, 2008 8:30 PM
  •  EonBlue wrote:
    Did you ever manage to get this issue sorted?

I'm having a similar problem with the console taking a long time to load up ... when the add in is installed and after uniostalling it and logging off as directed ...

any help would be appreciated.

Luke T

Hi Luke, to be honest I haven't done much with the plugin in a few months (it serves my purpose).  It shouldn't be causing slow downs in the console loading.  I've noticed that on some machines loading the console is slow and others it's not (I have two 'client' machines right now).  I haven't pin pointed it down to anything yet.

The add in is simply a .dll that is added to the Windows Home Server install directory (with the other add ins).  It's easily removed via explorer (and addin uinstall from WHS console).

Did you try rebooting?
    Thursday, April 17, 2008 10:14 PM
  • Slowing coulb be caused by fragmentation.  Diskeeper has a home server product that works really well.
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 9:02 PM