Need help removing a suspected Boot Sector Virus from another computer RRS feed

• Question

• This moring I found the following message on my table top computer: 

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"

My destk top computer has a valid install of Live One with a subscription that ends 11/23/2008.  The status has always been green.  I can't get to the ID on my table top system to access my subscription.  And it seems my Log on isn't working from this computer either.

I placed my Windows XP-Pro OS disk into my CD/DVD Drive and tried to reboot... but the CD/CDV Drive went dark almost immediately after the Boot up started and then displayed the above message again.

This message does not match any listed in the BIOS documentation for my copy of BIOS.

On checking the CMOS settings for the order of boot devices I only found 2 options listed...one , Floppy A...which is not on this system and two...a HD.   There was no CD/DVD Drive indicated.  This was a definite change in the CMOS settings I originally had.

Therefore, I can't access the system with the OS disk.   Is it possible this could could be a boot sector virus?  Is there any way I can check this and how can I remove it?

I have a home network with a laptop that also has Windows XP-Pro and Windows Live One Care installed.   Is it possible to use the laptop to access my desk top computer and use it to remove this virus?

Any help wouuld be greatly appreciated.

Saturday, June 21, 2008 6:52 PM

Answers