confmsp.dll install problem RRS feed

• Question

• I had no issues with the Beta releases, including RC1. Bought an OEM version through reseller in NL last month and experiencing some problems.

I used WHS for a while. Got more and more error mesages resulting in rebooting the WHS server almost twice a week until last week the server didn't respond anymore and kept rebooting itself.

During reinstallation, WHS reaches a point where it tries to install a file named confmsp.dll. The dll it fails to copy is 22% of the way thru the DOS screen part of the install. The options are retry, skip or exit so I did a skip.

A while later it fails on "Updating windows update redirector". This has error code 0x800707eb. The log file follows...

After this, I close the log file and can access the start button and stuff. Rebooting is followed by a checkdisk and reboots yet again.

Then it want to finilise installation but get "Updating windows update redirector" mesage again. Only option I have is reboot again (and the story continues)

item was covered in previous thread, but I have original OEM DVD, so it shouldn't be copy/CRC error.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2380388&SiteID=50

Who can help?

Thursday, November 8, 2007 12:10 AM

Answers

• OK, being fed up with all these unclear error messages, I have changed the Motherboard with a 2nd hand with now 4 SATA-II connections onboard. Installation went smooth, no failures yet.

This must just have been a HW failure. But strange that this didn't turn up with the XP installation.

Thanks.

Friday, November 16, 2007 2:30 PM

All replies

•  Robert0 wrote:
    I had no issues with the Beta releases, including RC1. Bought an OEM version through reseller in NL last month and experiencing some problems.

I used WHS for a while. Got more and more error mesages resulting in rebooting the WHS server almost twice a week until last week the server didn't respond anymore and kept rebooting itself.

During reinstallation, WHS reaches a point where it tries to install a file named confmsp.dll. The dll it fails to copy is 22% of the way thru the DOS screen part of the install. The options are retry, skip or exit so I did a skip.

Did you try Retry first?  Skipping files during installation is never a good idea.

Robert0 wrote:
    A while later it fails on "Updating windows update redirector". This has error code 0x800707eb. The log file follows...

After this, I close the log file and can access the start button and stuff. Rebooting is followed by a checkdisk and reboots yet again.

Then it want to finilise installation but get "Updating windows update redirector" mesage again. Only option I have is reboot again (and the story continues)

item was covered in previous thread, but I have original OEM DVD, so it shouldn't be copy/CRC error.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2380388&SiteID=50

Who can help?

I would try doing Server Reinstallation first using a different DVD drive.  If it still does it, your media could be bad (you may have to contact your vendor for a replacement disc).

Thursday, November 8, 2007 12:28 AM
  • Tried complete reinstall on other DVD drive. Same issue: it cannot find/copy specific files (although they were different file names). Tried also 'Retry' command, but no luck.

Any other options? Asked reseller already what their return policy is, but had no response from them yet.

Thanks

Thursday, November 8, 2007 9:43 PM
  • I think reseller should supply new media. If they're any good they will do so.

What you can try if it's different files that appear to be the problem each time is to open and close the DVD drive before hitting retry key (if you didn't do so already). Another thing which may help is copy the DVD (create ISO and then burn) to a fresh disk. It sounds funny but it helped me out more then once.

Thursday, November 8, 2007 10:09 PM
  •  

tried everything by now.

- Install through different DVD drive

- copy ISO of install disk to other DVD and try install from there

- tried open/close drive before hitting retry

It seems that it goes wrong on different files on the disk. Error log file shows that it goes already wrong at the start (Template _:\qs.ini NOT FOUND!). I have attached log file below.

Takes me now hours and hours and absolutely no progress. Please help....

[11/10/2007 11:01:58 AM  584] Copying file D:\WHS\RestoreCD.iso.
    [11/10/2007 11:03:10 AM  584] ERROR: File D:\WHS\RestoreCD.iso -> c:\WHS\RestoreCD.iso, 23
    [11/10/2007 11:03:10 AM  584] ERROR: Ignore busy: 0
    [TRACE] CopyFilesRecursively : Exited (0x80070017)
    [11/10/2007 11:03:10 AM  584] ERROR: Failed to copy files.
    [11/10/2007 11:03:10 AM  584] Copying files failed. Error 0x80070017.
    [TRACE] Looking for template _:\qs.ini
    [TRACE] Checked file C:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file D:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file E:\qs.ini, error 21
    [TRACE] Checked file F:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file X:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Template _:\qs.ini NOT FOUND!
    [TRACE] FindOnMedia : Exited (0x80070002)
    [TRACE] FindSetupFile : Exited (0x80070002)
    [11/10/2007 11:03:10 AM  584] MessageBox: Copying files failed: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

(error code 0x80070017).
    [TRACE] Step_WinPE : Exited (0x80070017)
    [11/10/2007 11:22:29 AM  584] Windows Home Server setup failed. The error code is 0x80070017. Please correct the problem and reboot to restart the setup program.
    [TRACE] Looking for template _:\qs.ini
    [TRACE] Checked file C:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file D:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file E:\qs.ini, error 21
    [TRACE] Checked file F:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file X:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Template _:\qs.ini NOT FOUND!
    [TRACE] FindOnMedia : Exited (0x80070002)
    [TRACE] FindSetupFile : Exited (0x80070002)
    [11/10/2007 11:22:30 AM  584] MessageBox: Windows Home Server installation failed. Do you want to view the installation log file?
    [11/10/2007 11:22:31 AM  584] Spawning process [notepad.exe "X:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs\q_setup.log"]

Saturday, November 10, 2007 10:15 PM
  • It seems someone here could offer a replacement DVD. 

Saturday, November 10, 2007 11:22 PM
  • I would try popping in that Beta or RC DVD (if you still have them) and see if it does the same thing.  If it works fine with the Beta/RC DVD, its very possible your media is messed.  If you get the same error, I would suggest doing a memory check and hard drive check just to rule hardware out. 
    I use memtest for memory testing:  memtest.org
    and I use Hitachi Drive Fitness Test (not foolproof, but good.  Does work on any mfg. drives.):
    http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
    You will need software to burn an ISO to a CD or a floppy drive, depending which version you download.

Best of luck!
    Sunday, November 11, 2007 6:38 AM
  • interesting.... I have the same issues with Beta and RC DVD, so it looks more like some HW failure. Run memory test: all ok. Will run the HD test as well. Funny thing is that I installed XP on the same machine without any problem.....

Very strange

Monday, November 12, 2007 8:52 AM
  • OK, being fed up with all these unclear error messages, I have changed the Motherboard with a 2nd hand with now 4 SATA-II connections onboard. Installation went smooth, no failures yet.

This must just have been a HW failure. But strange that this didn't turn up with the XP installation.

Thanks.

Friday, November 16, 2007 2:30 PM
  • I had very similar problem installing onto an old tower. The copy fail was on two different files. Ran through install several times. Same files not found. Retry option not work. If select skip the install failed soon after.

To solve I tried: stopped install just after the file copy; boot from another drive; extract missing from install DVD onto WHS boot (the copy .DL_ on the WHS boot drive was corrupt); allow boot and continue install. End result was install failed to complete.

Suspected DVD drive problem. Updated flash for DVD drive and BIOS to latest. Install went smooth as silk straight to end. Now running with no problems.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 10:32 AM