Installing CRM 2011 hangs up when creating the Organization RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I'm having troubles getting the install to complete without getting hung up on the last stage where it creates the organization.  

The SQL server is logging the following error:

Application Error 17204:

FCB::Open failed: Could not open file E:\SQL\Data\ABCD_MSCRM.mdf for file number 0.  OS error: 2(The system cannot find the file specified.).

It looks as though the installer is failing to copy the file in time for SQL to open the file.  Once I force quit the installer on the CRM server, the file IS actually copied to the SQL server, but at this point it's too late since the installation has been stopped.

I've setup all the necessary accounts and permissions as per the install notes.  

I'm running the setup as a domain admin which has local admin access and SQL sysadmin access on the SQL server.

Both servers are 2008 R2, with SQL 2008 R2.  SQL reporting extension have been installed.

I've been trying to install for 3 days now and can't get past this issue.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Stephen 

Sunday, June 30, 2013 9:40 PM

All replies

• One thing I'd check is that the account that the MSSQLServer service runs under has access to the E:\SQL\Data directory

Microsoft CRM MVP - http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com/ http://www.excitation.co.uk

Monday, July 1, 2013 12:18 PM
  • Hi David,

The account used to run the the MSSQLServer service didn't have access to the data directory. However, giving it access to the folder didn't make a difference with regards to the install.

I ended up installing Dynamics directly on the SQL box and it installed without any issue.  The only think I had to do was uninstall the Windows Search Search role as this conflicted with the Indexing Service used by Dynamics.

For the time being, this setup will suffice as it's just a development environment. Going forward with a production environment we will need to make this work with a 2 server setup.  I'll cross that bridge later on.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 8:02 PM