none
Does Microsoft Translator only translate one dialect of a Language? RRS feed

• Question

• Does Microsoft Translator only translate one dialect of a Language?  In other words if I translate a word from en-US to es-MX is it going to be exactly the same as es-ES?  I've already tried translating the en-US word "organize" to en-GB and it returned "organize" which is incorrect...in Great Britain (GB) the correct translation is "organise".  This is just a simple change in spelling, but many words used in the US are different in GB.

I'm about to translate all of my application resources into all the different languages using the Microsoft Translator at https://api.Cognitive.MicrosoftTranslator.com which only allows 2 million characters per month.  So, it would save me a lot if I knew that I didn't have to translate each language-country code for example if I only need to translate en-US to es-ES and just copy the result into the es-MX folder.

Anybody know for sure?

Steven Edward Wood Computer Engineer

Friday, December 28, 2018 4:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue is more related to Microsoft Translator and is out of the scope of UWP Forum. I suggest that you might need to ask about this in other forum like Microsoft Answers.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 28, 2018 5:38 AM
  • I'm sorry if I have asked in the wrong forum, but I'm asking here because there is a pinned "sticky" post titled "Configure multiple languages in UWP Apps" in this forum that explains using the Microsoft Translator.  Also, a search of this forum for the word "Translate" returns 741 hits which I have perused before asking my question.  And, since I'm developing a UWP app I'm asking here instead of one of the other development platform forums.

The "Microsoft Translator User Forum (Including Bing Translator)", "Microsoft Translator Developer & Web Master Support", and "Microsoft Translator Hub Forum" forums are all archived...apparently due to too few posts in those forums because as I pointed out the questions are being asked in the development platform forums such as this UWP forum.  However, this question was asked back in 2011 and that answer as well as other answers to similar questions indicates that new languages are being added from time to time and we need to check back regularly to see if the dialect or language has been added.

Edit: There is a forum at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/microsoft-translator, but I couldn't find an answer there either.

However, I've made several tests and I have not encountered any languages that have more than the one translation target dialect, so I may need to search for a more comprehensive translation API.  I also found a web page with the list of languages at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cognitive-services/translator/language-support However, even though that web page lists both Chinese Simplified zh-Hans and Chinese Traditional zh-Hant the API Languages REST request for dictionary responds with only English en-US to Chinese Simplified zh-Hans.  Making the documentation of target languages untrustworthy.

Steven Edward Wood Computer Engineer

Friday, December 28, 2018 2:01 PM