none
HTML entities in forum descriptions not being translated RRS feed

• Question

• I was just going through the forums, and saw that descriptions don't allow HTML entities.

MSDN Sandboxx - "This forum is designed for users to try out the new forums functionality. Please be respectful of others, and do <b&gtNOT</b&gt expect replies to questions asked here." Note the "<" and related.

And why does the name have two "x"s?

XML in Visual Studio 2008 (Pre-release) - "Discussion and technical Q&A about using XML in Visual Studio 2008. This forum is only for discussion of VS 2008 beta and CTP issues." note the "&amp".

On a completely unrelated note, Brent 's picture is not coming in so clearly. I think he needs to switch his bunny ears for a digital tuner.
    • Edited by Brian Tkatch Monday, July 13, 2009 12:57 PM typo
    Monday, July 13, 2009 12:57 PM

Answers

• I was just going through the forums, and saw that descriptions don't allow HTML entities.

MSDN Sandboxx - "This forum is designed for users to try out the new forums functionality. Please be respectful of others, and do <b&gtNOT</b&gt expect replies to questions asked here." Note the "<" and related.

I see the problem/s here.  The description had an encoded HTML value. This value: &lt;b&gtNOT&lt;/b&gt decodes to <b>NOT</b> which should render properly in the UI. There's an internal tool that let's Forum Admins put Forum descriptions however this tool doesn't use a rich text editor. The person who did this typed the HTML encoded value so that it renders correctly in the UI but the UI doesn't decode on output it Encodes. In a way, it's double encoding. The word "Not" should be bolded basically. We can file a bug on this but I can fix this by simply removing those encoded values and not worry about the word "Not" to be bolded.

Btw, The Name "Sandboxx " is just a display name error. I can change it Sandbox if need be.

Thanks
    STO Forums Test Lead
    • Marked as answer by Brian Tkatch Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:44 AM
    Monday, July 13, 2009 11:38 PM

All replies

MSDN Sandboxx - "This forum is designed for users to try out the new forums functionality. Please be respectful of others, and do &lt;b&gtNOT&lt;/b&gt expect replies to questions asked here." Note the "&lt;" and related.

I see the problem/s here.  The description had an encoded HTML value. This value: &lt;b&gtNOT&lt;/b&gt decodes to <b>NOT</b> which should render properly in the UI. There's an internal tool that let's Forum Admins put Forum descriptions however this tool doesn't use a rich text editor. The person who did this typed the HTML encoded value so that it renders correctly in the UI but the UI doesn't decode on output it Encodes. In a way, it's double encoding. The word "Not" should be bolded basically. We can file a bug on this but I can fix this by simply removing those encoded values and not worry about the word "Not" to be bolded.

Btw, The Name "Sandboxx " is just a display name error. I can change it Sandbox if need be.

Thanks
    STO Forums Test Lead
    • Marked as answer by Brian Tkatch Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:44 AM
    Monday, July 13, 2009 11:38 PM
  • A double-encoding and a NOT. Sheesh!

Thanx for the explanation. None of these are issues, obviously, i just thought you'd like it brought to your attention.
    • Edited by Brian Tkatch Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:44 PM typo
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:44 AM
  • Thanks. It did catch my attention actually :)
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:33 PM