Trouble with onboard NIC on MSI K9AGM3 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

after succesful instalation, my WHS doesn't recognize the onboard NIC. Unfortunately the MSI Page doesn't provide any W2003 drivers.

Thank you for any hints/tips
    Ralf
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:29 PM

Answers

• Hi guys,

I've solved the problem for all the onboard drivers for the MSI K9AGM3 mobo: open your device manager and you should see alerts (yellow circles) for the sound driver, ethernet driver, etc.  Right-click on each and select "Uninstall".  Reboot the WHS with the MSI XP driver CD in the drive and when WHS restarts it will detect each device one at a time.  When prompted, let Windows install the driver automatically; it found the correct driver automatically for each device for me and all is well. 

Good luck...
    Friday, January 25, 2008 7:43 PM

All replies

• Ralf, you can try installing Windows XP drivers. You may need to use compatibility mode to get them to install. You can also try Windows 2000 drivers; same thing there. But you may find that you can't get your onboard NIC to work with Windows Home Server even if you get a set of drivers installed. If that proves to be the case, you'll have to buy an add-on NIC card. Fortunately, they aren't very expensive.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:00 AM
  • Thx Ken, can you pls. point me to specific Brand/Product?

cheers
    Ralf
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:01 PM
  • I think the last time I bought an add-in NIC it was this one, though I didn't buy from NewEgg (had an immediate need)... It worked fine in a Windows Home Server that I tried it in.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:28 PM
  • Hi Ralf,

Did you have any luck with the XP drivers?  I just got the same mobo as you for WHS and am curious about your results.  If you select an add-on card, can you post which one you chose? 

Thanks!
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:53 PM
  • Hi guys,

I've solved the problem for all the onboard drivers for the MSI K9AGM3 mobo: open your device manager and you should see alerts (yellow circles) for the sound driver, ethernet driver, etc.  Right-click on each and select "Uninstall".  Reboot the WHS with the MSI XP driver CD in the drive and when WHS restarts it will detect each device one at a time.  When prompted, let Windows install the driver automatically; it found the correct driver automatically for each device for me and all is well. 

Good luck...
    Friday, January 25, 2008 7:43 PM
  • Hi,

after I got the information from Realtek that I can use the XP driver, all I did was to update the driver in the device manager with the provided MSI CD.

just another quick question, did manage to get the RAID running? I had a few unpleasant BSOD ;-)

Ralf
    Friday, January 25, 2008 11:29 PM
  • I didn't set up the RAID driver, since WHS strongly reocmmends not using hardware RAID.

Friday, January 25, 2008 11:46 PM