How to know which disk is causing dsk errors RRS feed

• Question

• After many hours of re-install WHS, deleting backups and running the checkall.cmd I was still never able to identify specific HDD that was causing the dsk error in event log.  WHS and Disk Management both reported all 18 HDDs as healthy which of course was not the case.  I could not complete a backup because each time it would try to write to the bad HDD and get a CRC error.  I would get the Harddisk 1 has a bad block error each time the backup would fail.  I ran the checkall.cmd as recommended here - it completed checking all drives but 1 which it froze at stage 2 of 5 10% complete.  I allowed it to continue over night but nothing changed so I rebooted, did chk dsk for c: drive and then looked in event log which did report anything for volume d (I guess because it froze and never completed) and volume c was clean.  Still was getting dsk errors over and over (reported about every 5 secs) in system event log as Device\Harddisk 1, has a bad block. 

Based on the event log indicating that it was HDD 1, I removed HDD 1 as reported by disk management - still got errors.  So then I started removing HDDs from the storage pool  starting with the last one added number 18 which froze for 14 hours with no progress so I just pulled it and everything is back to normal healthy state.  Been running fine for 18 hours and has completed 3 separate computer backups.

I had a little luck in that I only removed one HDD before I found the problem, but it could have been much worse.  Is there a way to identify which disk is the problem? 

Friday, May 14, 2010 2:29 PM

All replies

• Take a look at the Disk Management add-in. One of the things it allows is the creation of a wireframe representation of your server, so you can identify disks a little more readily. You may still need to go through and disconnect each disk briefly to identify correspondences between the Disk Management add-in's wireframe and the disks in the console.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, May 14, 2010 4:28 PM
  • OK thanks that makes sense - but will this correspond with event log info or do I need to look somewhere else such as device manager.  I am just trying to wrap my head around when I have another problem with a HDD which of course I will, how to know which drive is failing.  Disk Management indicated that all HDD's were healthy, but the event log was indicating that I had a bad block on device\harddisk 1 which didn't correspond to HDD 1 on disk management.
    Friday, May 14, 2010 4:48 PM