Question regarding DomainAdd RRS feed

• Question

• Our environment is a single Forest with Multiple Child domains.

We've created a test forest with two child domains. We wish to install  an LCS 2005 Enterprise server into each domain with their own Pool. We do NOT wish for admins in one domain to administer the pools in other domains. In order to facilitate this, we were told that we should NOT run DomainAdd.

The installation of the first LCS server is complaining that we have not run DomainAdd, which we have not. After researching this, am I correct in understanding that I must run DomainAdd to the Forest Root for each domain I install LCS in, but in order to prevent cross domain Administration, I should NOT run DomainAdd between Domains?

Thanks for any clarification you can offer. We have not run DomainAdd at all, since we are unclear on the above...

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 2:05 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Using DomainAdd to add the needed permission from a child domain to the forest root domain is needed so the LCS installation in the child domain will be able to access its information that is in the forest root. If you performed a DomainAdd to the forest root for each child domain you would not be adding permissions that would allow one LCS administrative roles access information in the other child domain. However, each would be able to access their information in the forest root.

If you were to perform a domainadd from a child domain that was using another child domain as its target then you would be giving permissions to the source child domain to access the target child domain.

You RTC administation groups are domain specific

Thanks,

Mike Adkins  OCS beta support team

Thursday, April 26, 2007 10:33 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Using DomainAdd to add the needed permission from a child domain to the forest root domain is needed so the LCS installation in the child domain will be able to access its information that is in the forest root. If you performed a DomainAdd to the forest root for each child domain you would not be adding permissions that would allow one LCS administrative roles access information in the other child domain. However, each would be able to access their information in the forest root.

If you were to perform a domainadd from a child domain that was using another child domain as its target then you would be giving permissions to the source child domain to access the target child domain.

You RTC administation groups are domain specific

Thanks,

Mike Adkins  OCS beta support team

Thursday, April 26, 2007 10:33 PM
  • This forum is for the OCS 2007 Public Beta. Your question is regarding LCS 2005. You should open a support case with PSS or post the question in an LCS 2005 newsgroup.
    Monday, April 30, 2007 5:44 PM
  • Mike,

Thanks for your reply. It was exactly the confirmation that I was looking for.

Monday, April 30, 2007 10:20 PM