WHS 2011 video transcoding - Intel Quick Sync support? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I wanted to know if Windows Home Server 2011 supports the Quick Sync feature of the new Intel Sandy Bridge CPU?

It's a hardware video encoding unit on their CPU that allow to do video transcoding in a much more efficient way.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/9

Does WHS 2011 and its video web streaming feature already support it?

(Currently the Quick Sync unit on Sandy Bridge CPUs is only activated if the CPU's GPU is used, in other words there must be a display connected on one of the video port of the motherboard. Since most WHS 2011 won't be connected to a display that will be a problem. BUT, Intel annonced that it was a bug and that the Quick Sync unit will be active even if there are no display connected in the next version of their CPU [Ivy Bridge, end 2011] )

Sunday, February 13, 2011 10:47 AM

Answers

• Well I read your article and the very first line...

Currently Intel’s Quick Sync transcode is only supported by two applications: Cyberlink’s Media Espresso 6 and Arcsoft’s Media Converter 7.

This would indicate that it's a software thing and that it's not OS limited..  So if you installed one of those programs then yeah it would probably work.  But you would have to try it.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 4:03 PM

All replies

• Well I read your article and the very first line...

Currently Intel’s Quick Sync transcode is only supported by two applications: Cyberlink’s Media Espresso 6 and Arcsoft’s Media Converter 7.

This would indicate that it's a software thing and that it's not OS limited..  So if you installed one of those programs then yeah it would probably work.  But you would have to try it.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 4:03 PM
  • WHS 2011 (like Win 7 too) has its own transcoding feature that allow to stream video/audio over the web, I don't want to install another software.

That is why I wanted to know if it already support the new Intel transcoding unit.

If not I will write a suggestion on Microsoft Connect ;).

Sunday, February 13, 2011 4:37 PM