Data transfers crawling RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone. This is my first post. I am new to WHS. I think I may have a network problem that is causing my data transfers to top out at about 900 KB/sec. Needless to say this is no way to transfer 6 TB of information from my network to my WHS.

I have a Linksys WRT150N wireless router and a Linksys PLK300 powerline adapter kit. I have a Home Theater PC (HTPC) connected to the router via ethernet cable. The WHS is connected to the router via the powerline adapter. I have two laptops that connect wirelessly to the router. The description of the network from the wall in my living room is: cable internet modem to Vonage adapter to WRT150N (wired connections to HTPC, and powerline adapter), (wireless connection to 2 laptops). The powerline adapter then connects to WHS in an upstairs bedroom.

The HTPC and both laptops all have Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) installed on them. I get the same 900 KB/sec (max) data transfers between any and all of the computers.

I know all of my hard drives are functional, they all worked without any problems previous to setting up the WHS. All the drives are SATA II and they have normal transfer speeds when connected to the laptops or the HTPC either through USB or directly to the motherboard.

I suspect that I don't have things configured correctly and all my searching on the internet for a solution has come up empty.

WHS Hardware:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
    4 GB DDR2
    320GB HDD (OS installed)
    4 x 1.5TB HDD
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 12:48 AM

All replies

• If at all possible, use Ethernet (preferably gigabit ethernet) for your network. At a minimum, use it for critical connections: your server and your home theater PC probably. Wireless is slow, high latency, and there are a lot of errors that the end user never sees. Powerline is just slow.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 1:02 AM
  • I would have installed my own ethernet infrastructure, but I live in military housing and I am not allowed to make those kinds of modifications to the unit I live in so I am stuck with the powerline adapter. The HTPC and WHS are on a wired connection through the router and the powerline adapter. I get the same results whether the data transfer is attempted wired or wirelessly. So my guess is I don't have the router configured properly unless the powerline adapter is solely responsible for the bottleneck.

I suppose I will have to bring the WHS downstairs to take the powerline adapter out of the loop and see if there is any difference.
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 1:41 AM
  • OK. Moved the WHS downstairs connected to router through ethernet port. Transfer speeds jumped to about 1.5 MB/sec from my laptop, but that's still slow even for a wireless-G connection. Tried TeraCopy and speeds went up to 2.5 MB/sec over wireless. The HTPC over a wired connection has transfer speeds of around 11 MB/sec with or without TeraCopy. So there's probably something else I can do to increase it more...and to convince my wife we need to move the WHS downstairs...and get a quieter case fan for it--gosh that thing is loud!
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 2:01 AM
  • You will rarely see speeds much faster than 2.5-3 MB/sec over Wireless-G. There's too much latency, too many potential sources of interference, and G is designed to slow down for a more reliable connection. Your wired connection is saturated, if it's 100 Mbit as you said. So you've done all you can by moving the server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 4:56 AM