Remove Icon from Tray RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have disabled notifactions at Microsoft for WGA and wish to have the Icon gone from my tray.

In Taskbar and Startmenu Properties/Customize, I have selected for WGA to always be hiden. This did no good it just adds another entry here to put the Icon back.

You can not turn this WGA off in the Windows Task Manager, when you do it also re-adds an entry here for WGA.

Why is this necessary to have the Icon always present in the tray.

I do not have sp2 on my system and do not want it. This is the only notification I receive.

Microsoft/Windows Automatic Update is on, on my system. I see no need to have this WGA as well. Windows are verified when you get updates. I do not see why this is also needed, just to add something else running in the background on my system from Microsoft.

If there is a way of getting this out of my tray or off my system please, notify me.

Brian Lawrence

Vermont, USA

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:03 PM

Answers

• Nishy, Brian:

Sorry, with the recent flood of posts, I didn't fully understand the issue.

For genuine users not on SP2, there is no current way to remove the system tray icon without upgrading to SP2. While this may not be ideal, please let me explain.

As of October 10, 2006, XP SP1 users are no longer getting updates via Automatic Updates. While still eligible, they won't be recieving updates automatically. This is our notification to the user that security risks are open and need to be addressed immediately.

Also, XP RTM users currently do NOT recieve updates via Automatic Updates (though they are still eligible to download them manually).

I hope this helps,

-Phil Liu

Friday, June 2, 2006 8:33 PM

All replies

• Brian:

What is your validation failure message? Please head to (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 ) and copy and paste its output. It will help us determine the next steps to obtaining genuine Windows.

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:15 PM
  • He didnt say anything about a validation failure. He just wants the tray icon gone. So do i. Its annoying. I prefer to run my updates manually. How do i turn this thing off? Im not getting any errors, just getting angry.
    Friday, June 2, 2006 7:42 PM
  • Nishy, Brian:

Sorry, with the recent flood of posts, I didn't fully understand the issue.

For genuine users not on SP2, there is no current way to remove the system tray icon without upgrading to SP2. While this may not be ideal, please let me explain.

As of October 10, 2006, XP SP1 users are no longer getting updates via Automatic Updates. While still eligible, they won't be recieving updates automatically. This is our notification to the user that security risks are open and need to be addressed immediately.

Also, XP RTM users currently do NOT recieve updates via Automatic Updates (though they are still eligible to download them manually).

I hope this helps,

-Phil Liu

Friday, June 2, 2006 8:33 PM
  • So Phil, you are saying that unless we install SP2, there is no legit way of removing the pesky icon from the tray? Why does MS do things like this that tick users off? They just don't care about us little guys at all. Why in the world would I want ANOTHER icon in the tray? Let the WGA work, I just don't want the darn icon in the tray!

I am running XP Pro SP1 right now because of the problem of installing SP2 on top of a hard drive FULL of other programs. With all of the horror stories that I've heard of folks like me installing SP2 ontop of the entire system, and then the computer either crashing and not able to come back, or slowing down to almost stopped, I'm not about to put it on top of everything else, even though MS claims it should be okay.

All the experts say to do a clean install with SP2 installed before any other software and that it will work fine. Then reinstall all of your other junk on top of that. That's what I plan on doing this summer but don't have the time to do so now. But that stupid icon is clogging up my already burdened tray.

Thanks alot MS, for more junk! It should have an easy switch to just tick and then it's gone.! Thanks for nothing!

sd
    Tuesday, June 6, 2006 5:37 AM