Retrieve computer backups RRS feed

• Question

• I'm hoping that someone may be able to help me out here.  I've run into an unfortunate string of events where I need to get at my computer backups.  I ran into an issue a couple of weeks ago, my computer got infected with a virus, so I wiped everthing.  I didn't have a chance to restore some of the files that get backed up on the WHS and then WHS backup service wanted to start giving me troubles, which is turning out to be a hard drive failure on the OS partition. 

I was going to do a server reinstallation, but it says that it wipes out the computer backups that I need.  I can no longer open the home server console as it first states that the backup service isn't running then just closes immediately.  I can start the backup service in the services view, it says that it is started, but then soon just blanks out.

I can browse to the directory and see where the computer backups were and can copy some of the files out of the dir, but some state that the drive isn't mounted when I try and copy them.  I can also take the drive out of my WHS and put it in my desktop to try and copy the hidden backups, but I get the error "An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file" in win7 64-bit

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Friday, July 23, 2010 11:45 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, the drive has failed and taken some components of the backup database with it. There's no supported way to repair the database at all, and there's no way at all to repair the damage done without a lot of knowledge of the internal structure of the database layout, and even with that knowledge, there's a pretty good chance your backups are lost anyway.

I'm sorry not to be able to give you better news.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 2:44 AM
  • I've been able to follow one of the FAQ's which stated that you can copy the data over to the new drive, as it was replicated on one of my other drives.  Is there a way to get the new WHS to display the original PC backups?
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 2:20 PM
  • I've been able to follow one of the FAQ's which stated that you can copy the data over to the new drive, as it was replicated on one of my other drives.  
    There is no replication of the backup database (short of using the BDBB add-in or an unsupported registry hack).

Is there a way to get the new WHS to display the original PC backups?

If you have a complete and functional backup database, you can restore it to a new WHS installation by following the Home Computer Backup and Restore Technical Brief which can be found on the MS WHS website.
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 10:09 PM