none
Streets & Trips 2013 Compatible? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to purchase Streets & Trips with the GPS locator for business purposes. My boss is using S&T 2010. If I install S&T 2013, will it work with his system, or will I need to find an old version to install on my laptop?
    Monday, July 16, 2012 11:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Menzor,

Version 2010 will not be able to open files saved in v2013 (it will work the other way around though).

Similar discussion: http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/3154-backward-compatibility-microsoft-streets-trips-files

Laptop GPS World

• Marked as answer by menzor Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:23 PM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 12:13 AM
  • Thanks Marvin! I think I'll be good in that case.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:23 PM
  • This is truly disappointing and confusing.

Disappointing, in that the legitimately purchased and functioning 2011 software cannot be used anymore, and files created by a 2013 user cannot be shared with others who own 2011. This is unique to S&T, as other MS office products allow for saving in previous formats. A very poor decision on Microsoft's part. If a 2013 user opens and saves a file from a 2011 user, it is no longer usable by the 2011 user ever again.

Confusing, in  that a user cannot tell what version a file is compatible with. The file extension is unchanged.

The only workaround I have found is to export to GPX. Some routing information may be lost when this is done.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:21 PM
  • Different versions of MapPoint / Streets&Trips have different data sets and road data networks. This is why a file has to be "converted". Converting from one version to the next will introduce mis-placed pushpins/etc. Jumping versions will be worse - more likely to have new/different roads, towns, zipcodes.

In theory, going backwards is even worse; but it also adds some more fundamental problems: An old version cannot read the new version, because it can never know what future file formats will be like. A new version cannot save to the old format unless it has a complete set of the old format's road data! So yes, Streets&Trips 2013 could be written so that it could save to the previous two versions, but this would probably almost triple the road dataset. Even with some clever version compression you probably wouldn't be able to to get down to a mere double.

Yes it is a pain, but I don't think it could be any other way. Being able to identify map files without opening them would be useful though. I often solve this by including the version in the file name (this is a dev PC so I have about 7-8 versions of MapPoint installed simultaneously)

Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com

Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:17 PM
  • Ok, I purchased a copy of Streets & Trips 2010 so that I'm running the same version as my employer. This version came with the GPS device. Streets & Trips loaded fine and everything is up and running, but I'm having trouble with the GPS device. At first the computer didn't recognize it at all, so I rebooted and then it installed the driver for the GPS and Streets & Trips showed that it was trying to locate a satellite. It never did locate a satellite and eventually gave me an error message. I rebooted again and once again the computer did not recognize the device and has not ever since. Is this just a bad GPS, or is there some kind of fix?
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:02 PM
  • You should be able to open 2010 files in 2013. 2013 will upgrade files to the newer format if required. I have done this with 2009 version files.

David Lambert

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 6:00 PM
  • How do you do this?  Everyone seems to indicate that S&T 2013 doesn't open them automatically... is there a file converter somewhere?
    Friday, September 20, 2013 3:44 PM
  • In my case, I simply clicked on the file in Windows Explorer and Streets & Trips started and opened the file. When I was done, Streets &  Trips asked if I wanted to save the file and I clicked save.

David Lambert

• Edited by DR Lambert Friday, September 20, 2013 5:26 PM
    Friday, September 20, 2013 5:25 PM
  • The changes also make the new GPX 2013 incompatible with Garmin Devices. Such as my Zumo 665 and Harley Davidson GPS.
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:10 PM
  • I removed 2013 and started using 2010 again. Maybe they will fix it, if not no using 2013-14

Beginning with Streets and Trips 2011 and continuing with Streets and Trips 2013, the GPX file created by the program produces a GPX file that cannot be imported into Garmin's MapSource or Basecamp. This problem however is easily corrected.

-Open the GPX file created by Sreets and Trips with Notepad
    -Highlight and copy (ctl-c) a part of the data string that looks something like this... <time>Invalid DateTime-08:00</time> (your data between the <time> and the </time> may/will be different)
    -Select >Edit< from the Notepad menu
    -Select >Replace< from the menu options
    -With your cursor in the "Find What" field, paste (ctl-v) the string copied in the previous step
    -Leave the "Replace With" field blank
    -Press >Replace All<
    -Save this modified file with the current or new file name - the file will now open fine in MapSource and Basecamp - now, whether anyone would ever actually want to use Basecamp is another issue all together

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 3:41 PM