How to find the prodcut key in a Windows 7 already installed? RRS feed

• Question

• Well, I have 2 original packages of Windows 7 Ultimate, one is already installed in my personal computer and the other is still new.  This new one is for my daughters computer (they live in another city), but, by mistake I mixed the packages and now I don't know wich one is installed in my computer, so, I need help to try to find out wich one is the one that I need to keep and wich is the one that I will send to my daughters.    Thank you all in advanced.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 7:34 PM

Answers

• "rickmsn" wrote in message news:98dfa08c-98c0-413a-8081-c9641a00dda1...

Well, I have 2 original packages of Windows 7 Ultimate, one is already installed in my personal computer and the other is still new.  This new one is for my daughters computer (they live in another city), but, by mistake I mixed the packages and now I don't know wich one is installed in my computer, so, I need help to try to find out wich one is the one that I need to keep and wich is the one that I will send to my daughters.    Thank you all in advanced.

The only critical thing is the Key.
    use the MGADiag tool on your PC, the report will show the Key that is in use on that PC (the last three groups of it, anyhow), so that you can then use the other Key for your daughter's machine.
    It would be a good idea to then label each package properly :)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Edited by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:44 PM edited to make it more understandable
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:49 PM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:22 PM
  • The MGADiag, that Noel mentioned, can be downloaded at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Just download it to the desktop and run it. Once open, click the Continue button and then (after a bit) click the Copy button. Open Notepad and paste in the report.  You are looking for the line labled "Windows Product Key:".

Thank you, 

Darin MS
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:49 PM

All replies

• "rickmsn" wrote in message news:98dfa08c-98c0-413a-8081-c9641a00dda1...

Well, I have 2 original packages of Windows 7 Ultimate, one is already installed in my personal computer and the other is still new.  This new one is for my daughters computer (they live in another city), but, by mistake I mixed the packages and now I don't know wich one is installed in my computer, so, I need help to try to find out wich one is the one that I need to keep and wich is the one that I will send to my daughters.    Thank you all in advanced.

The only critical thing is the Key.
    use the MGADiag tool on your PC, the report will show the Key that is in use on that PC (the last three groups of it, anyhow), so that you can then use the other Key for your daughter's machine.
    It would be a good idea to then label each package properly :)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Edited by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:44 PM edited to make it more understandable
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:49 PM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:22 PM
  • The MGADiag, that Noel mentioned, can be downloaded at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Just download it to the desktop and run it. Once open, click the Continue button and then (after a bit) click the Copy button. Open Notepad and paste in the report.  You are looking for the line labled "Windows Product Key:".

Thank you, 

Darin MS
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Thank you very much!!!
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 10:15 PM
  • Thank you very much!!!
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 10:15 PM