none
Extremely slow response at times RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I've noticed that quite often it takes ~20+ seconds to open a thread or go back to view a forum or see my profile. I don't seem to experience such delays with any other site.

Do you know what may be a problem?

I do have many applications running and also I'm using Google Chrome. 

Thanks in advance.

Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:15 PM

Answers

• I'll have someone reach out to you tim, thanks for reporting this. I've removed your email address so spammers don't grab it

btw, for the rest of you, operations has correct numerous configuratoin issues since about 8/22. There were profile issues corrected that my have had something to do with login/log out issues and other errors. There were also some config issues that had an obvious impacts on recognition points calculations. We are continuing to ensure these issues have all be resolved but we think we got most of them. I think Tim's issue may be a known bug around a particular user state, but I'm having test follow up..

Community Forums Program Manager

Friday, August 27, 2010 5:49 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the reports everyone, we are looking into these problems. We have a couple of leads. I'll report back when I know more.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:06 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Naomi

> Extremely slow response at times

yes that's true, since some days (maybe due the recent forum upgrade?) there are major performance/timeout issues.
    Even refreshing the same page sometime takes forever.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:32 PM
  • Yes, serious issues. Some posts wont open at all. Frequently they show the last reply being from someone and when you look there's no such post there. Even refreshing the page doesn't show it but you look 10 mins later and it shows.

Sometimes you reply and it just sits there and does nothing; they only way to reply is to open the post fully.

It's all very frustrating and puts you off using the forums, particularly if you have limited time. How new users must find it I can't imagine.

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    Friday, August 20, 2010 4:19 PM
  • For me it presents a serious problem. I like answering questions, but with such bad speed of opening new threads, I'm not able to utilize my time efficiently.

I hope people responsible for the forum will see this thread and do something.

Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    Friday, August 20, 2010 5:25 PM
  • +1

No chrome though.

Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 4:35 AM
  • The problem doesn't exist if you're signed-out while browsing.
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 1:26 PM
  • +1
    Monday, August 23, 2010 2:32 AM
  • Hello,

yes whole msdn forum is very slow with many errors on the server. When I post new answers it sometimes end up with message box Unexpected error and I have to do it again. This behavior sometimes repeat itself several times so posting single answer can tak several minutes. I had very bad experience with forums on apsnet.com where HTTP 500 is like a feature. MSDN forum probably wants to have same user experience.

Best regards,
    Ladislav  

Monday, August 23, 2010 7:58 AM
  • Hi Naomi!

> For me it presents a serious problem. I like answering questions, but
    > with such bad speed of opening new threads, I'm not able to utilize my
    > time efficiently.
    >
    +1

Same issues using the NNTP Bridge.

Thorsten Dörfler
    Microsoft MVP Visual Basic
    vb-faq.de
    Monday, August 23, 2010 11:31 AM
  • Thanks for the reports everyone, we are looking into these problems. We have a couple of leads. I'll report back when I know more.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:06 AM
    Answerer
  • I have been unable to post to the technet/msdn forums for several days now. If I am logged in to my technet account, I cannot even see the forum website.

I actually even tried the technet plus concierge chat to report the issue.  I created a new account to post from which is working, but doesn't address the original issue (that I still can't access the site).

Here is the scenario:

I can view/read the technet forums perfectly.  I go to http://technet.microsoft.com, click on FORUMS in the main nav bar - and it works great.  As soon as I log in (with my usual technet profile, which is working fine everywhere else in microsoft land), I can not load any of the forums pages.  It is as if the servers have disappeared.  If I log out, no problem.

I have tried IE, Firefox and Chrome, from 4 different computers, at 2 different sites, including a brand new machine never been used before.  I tried XP and Windows 7.  I tried adding it to my trusted sites.  I tried deleting cooking/resetting IE, etc, etc, etc. 

I know that this is not effecting all users, but the people who are affected obviously cannot post about it since they cannot access the site! 

Given that it is only when I am logged in, and when I log out, or connect with a new userid - it does work - I wonder if there is a localized server issue somewhere?  I am connecting from Vancouver. 

If you would like more details I can be reached at (email removed by admin).

Thanks!

/-Tim

• Edited by Brent SerbusEditor Friday, August 27, 2010 5:50 PM removed email so spammers don't get it
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:40 AM
  • I'll have someone reach out to you tim, thanks for reporting this. I've removed your email address so spammers don't grab it

btw, for the rest of you, operations has correct numerous configuratoin issues since about 8/22. There were profile issues corrected that my have had something to do with login/log out issues and other errors. There were also some config issues that had an obvious impacts on recognition points calculations. We are continuing to ensure these issues have all be resolved but we think we got most of them. I think Tim's issue may be a known bug around a particular user state, but I'm having test follow up..

Friday, August 27, 2010 5:49 PM
    Answerer