Subscription key to OneCare if I live in Sweden ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi !

How to get a subscription key to OneCare if I live in Sweden ?

I now that OneCare are not available in Sweden, but I wood like to have OneCare on my homecomputer in English language, so I think it's not a problem.

Please help me ....

Thanks !

Philip

Friday, November 14, 2008 8:29 PM

Answers

• If it's not available in your country you would be unable to get any support. The reason is that the local Support structure isn't in place, including servers, billing, and a local phone number for support calls. This may be due to legal or simply marketing reasons, but it really doesn't matter.

This is one of the confusing things about an Internet supported product in an as yet still fragmented world. Though it seems like a program available via the internet should be avilable anywhere you can find a connection, this isn't really true. Since OneCare isn't a simple download, but rather a subscription, the legal and billing questions must be answereed before it can be sold in a country, even if the technical situation would allow it to operate.

The interesting situations this creates include the fact that someone from a country that does have OneCare available can't easily get it in a country that doesn't and may not be supportable even if they do get it.

If I were you I'd avoid trying to purchase in an unsupported country, since even if you manage to you may have support problems which can't be solved later.

OneCareBear

Saturday, November 15, 2008 6:45 AM

All replies

• If it's not available in your country you would be unable to get any support. The reason is that the local Support structure isn't in place, including servers, billing, and a local phone number for support calls. This may be due to legal or simply marketing reasons, but it really doesn't matter.

This is one of the confusing things about an Internet supported product in an as yet still fragmented world. Though it seems like a program available via the internet should be avilable anywhere you can find a connection, this isn't really true. Since OneCare isn't a simple download, but rather a subscription, the legal and billing questions must be answereed before it can be sold in a country, even if the technical situation would allow it to operate.

The interesting situations this creates include the fact that someone from a country that does have OneCare available can't easily get it in a country that doesn't and may not be supportable even if they do get it.

If I were you I'd avoid trying to purchase in an unsupported country, since even if you manage to you may have support problems which can't be solved later.

OneCareBear

Saturday, November 15, 2008 6:45 AM
  • Hi !

Thanks for the reply OneCareBear ...

I don't give a **..** about the support for OneCare ...

I can get the support in this forum if a ever need the support.

I only need a subscription key for OneCare, then I can run OneCare on my computer, end of disscussion ... and no more fuss about that.

Is it possible to get a sub.key for OneCare if I don.t mind the support and live in a country that is not a OneCare country yet [Sweden] ?

Thanks !

Saturday, November 15, 2008 10:52 PM
  • Sisyfos2,

Be careful, we are not MS Support and have no direct access to their knowledgebase systems or people. Though there is a lot of knowledge here, if you look you'll find that often the only recourse we can offer is to contact Support. This isn't a cop out, we simply can't resolve all issues without this full access. You'll get a reasonable effort, but no guarantee.

What this means is that you have no recourse if something doesn't work for you. You'd basically be on your own.

To me it seems fairly obvious that this means there's also no way to purchase the product through normal Microsoft channels in unsupported parts of the world. Though in today's world the Internet makes getting anything, anywhere fairly easy, that doesn't imply it will work. In fact, for quite a while it was difficult for those in some of the supported countries to purchase due to the IP monitoring and OS Language/Locale checks that exist, though those seem to have reduced over time.

In case you don't get it yet, I recommend against this since I suspect it may fail. That doesn't mean it will stop you, but I don't wish to imply that any specific situation will work or not, since I can't know. I only know that if Microsoft doesn't officially support it, you're on your own, which is where I personally will leave it.

OneCareBear

Sunday, November 16, 2008 12:21 AM
  • Although unsupported, you can purchase a retail copy of OneCare from an online retailer who will ship to Sweden or you can have a friend purchase a copy in a country where it is sold. Use the retail key to activate the subscription. Note that your OS language must be supported in order for this to work and you will need another retail key to renew in a year.

Swedish is not a supported OS language.

In which countries and languages is Windows Live OneCare available?

The Windows Live OneCare subscription service is available in the following countries and languages: Australia (English), Austria (German), Belgium (Dutch, French), Brazil (Portuguese), Canada (English, French), France (French), Germany (German), Hong Kong (English), Ireland (English), India (English), Italy (Italian), Japan (Japanese), Mexico (Spanish), Netherlands (Dutch), New Zealand (English), Singapore (English), Spain (Spanish), Switzerland (French, German), United Kingdom (English), United States (English, Spanish).

-steve
    Monday, November 17, 2008 1:58 PM
  • Ok, thanks for good answers !

I will consider other alternative for my computerprotection and Kaspersky's Internet Security seem's to be a good one I think.

Perhaps Kaspersky is a better product than OneCare after all ...

Ok, thanks !

Bye !

Sincerely,

Philip

Sweden

Monday, November 17, 2008 7:51 PM