Backup fails on one computer connected to WHS - Connector Software error RRS feed

• Question

• Disclaimer: I'm not very savvy with this stuff so please keep that in mind when replying.

I have a Windows Home Server which has been running since 2008. We basically use it solely as a backup server for two computers (both running Win XP), turning it on just before backup time and shutting it off every night. So far so good. Then I started to have problems with the back up of one of the computers. Whether a manual or auto backup, it stops at 2% and says there's a problem with the Windows Connector Software. I reinstalled it from the copy on the server, which seemed to work once, but then I continued to get the same error. The system log says that the error is an Event 11, a cable problem. So I got a network cable I know works, unplugged the computer that is backing up fine from the router and used that port to connect the non-working one. Still fails at 2%. It's been forty days since a successful backup and I don't know what to try next.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:03 PM

All replies

• Error message are not always leading into the right direction.

Something you can do:

Check the event log of client and server for related error messages - especially such pointing to VSS or NTFS errors.

As a next step run chkdsk /f /r on your client PC from within an Administrative command prompt to ensure, that the volume to be backed up has no errors.

Finally the backup database itself could be corrupted.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:16 PM
  • I haven't had a chance to work on this until today.

1. No errors on client or server that seem to relate to VSS or NTFS errors.

2. Ran chkdsk on both volumes.

3. Ran database repair on server.

The other computer is still backing up successfully. This one still fails at 2%.

What should I do next?

Thursday, July 7, 2011 12:04 AM
  • Any further suggestions?

Is there a way to "start from scratch" while keeping my old backups?

Friday, July 8, 2011 6:29 PM
  • Hello? Is there anyone who can help me with this?
    Monday, July 11, 2011 1:40 PM
  • Hi Michelle,

I bet that you should see some errors in the clients event log relating to failed backups. Without such details nobody can really tell you much.

You could attempt to exclude the logical drive from backup, on which the backup fails and check, if backup will succeed now.

I had also one case in the past, in which a logical drive failed to backup. Since it was only a logical drive, I could easy move the data from it, delete the volume, create it again and copy the data back, which solved the problem for me.

Olaf

Monday, July 11, 2011 9:10 PM
  • Hi Michelle,

I bet that you should see some errors in the clients event log relating to failed backups. Without such details nobody can really tell you much.

You could attempt to exclude the logical drive from backup, on which the backup fails and check, if backup will succeed now.

I had also one case in the past, in which a logical drive failed to backup. Since it was only a logical drive, I could easy move the data from it, delete the volume, create it again and copy the data back, which solved the problem for me.

Olaf

1. Where do I look for errors (assuming that the Event 11 error I mentioned is not what you're talking about)? I'll do a screen cap if you can tell me where to look.

2. I don't know what you mean by logical drive. There is a C and an E on the computer in question.

3. I removed E drive from the backup configuration and the backup failed at 5%. I removed C and backup of E was successful (Yay!). So obviously there's something amiss with the C drive or the C drive backup.  I don't think I can delete the C drive, so how can I get it to work again?

Thanks for your help so far.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 11:54 PM
  • You can try opening a command prompt and running this command on the computer having the problem:

chkdsk c: /r

You'll be told that your computer will check the disk for errors the next time it's rebooted. Go ahead and reboot, then wait for the computer to finish running chkdsk, log in as normal (if you use a password) and see if a manual backup of the C: partition will succeed.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:08 AM
  • I assume, Michelle did that already.

But she did not tell, if any damaged sectors or similar stuff has been recorded.

Backing up a disk with damaged sectors seems to be almost impossible with WHS.

Michelle,

event 11 in itself says nothing, you would have to copy/paste the entire event. (multiple event sources can use the same event number)

You can try two more things:

1. Uninstall security software (temporary) and try running a backup again.

2. Exclude some larger folders from your C: drive (i.e. Program Files or Windows) to figure out, if the culprit is seen in a file located in one of them. Later you can narrow down by excluding only subfolders of the "guilty" folder.

Olaf

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:46 PM