Backup on WHS completed with error, but what exactly failed? RRS feed

• Question

• I was seeing signs of disk failure on my WHS, so I decided to do a manual backup. I connected an external hard drive and kicked off a manual backup from WHS Console.

Now that the backup has finished, I see that the "Computers & Backup" page shows that "Last backup incomplete". I used "View Backup" function and it revealed that the backup "Finished with failures". I then proceeded to event viewer and saw that in "HomeServer" log, there's an entry saying:

Server backup of folders <folder list here> to hard drive <destination> succeeded with 1 failures. 0 files totaling 399,066,040,771 bytes were processed. Operations: 0 files linked, 18376 files copied, 0 files moved.

What I am confused about is the "succeeded with 1 failures" part. Ignoring the obvious irony, I wonder what exactly the "1 failure" is, since there is a list of top level folders backed up, did it mean that exactly one folder failed to back up? If that's the case, then it does not help much because one folder typically have thousands of files.

I also checked other parts of event log, did not see any entries regarding disk read failure. And I did a rudimentary file list ("dir /a/s/b" on src and dest, then compare), I found exactly one file is missing from backup, but I tried to manually copy it, worked just fine. I'm wondering if there's way to know exactly what failed? Are there additional logs that I can dig into and see what happened during the backup?

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:28 AM

All replies

• I am seeing the same issue. I have 245 GB of files in my share folders that I am trying to write to a 400 GB USB drive, and I am getting errors every time I backup up. This is what I am seeing in the Event Viewer. I don't know where to look. :-(

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: Admin
    Event ID: 2306
    Date:  12/7/2009
    Time:  1:01:29 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: BASE
    Description:
    Server backup of folders D:\shares\Download, D:\shares\Music, D:\shares\Photos, D:\shares\Public, D:\shares\ScriptLibrary, D:\shares\Scripts, D:\shares\Software, D:\shares\Users\DBAJPS1, D:\shares\Users\user, D:\shares\Users\Luser, D:\shares\Users\SQL, D:\shares\Users\Tuser, D:\shares\Videos, D:\shares\WHS_WWW to hard drive E:\2009-12-06_2013 succeeded with 6 failures. 32200 files totaling 170,498,848,532 bytes were processed. Operations: 32200 files linked, 28184 files copied, 0 files moved.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:18 AM
  • Hi,

Having the same problem.  I'm sure mine was due to in ability of Windows to copy files with a path longer than 256 chars however if I can't get a list of files with this issue I can't rectify the problem!

Anyone know where the logs are for these share backup failures?

I've checked in :

%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

... on advice on this link: http://www.homeserverland.com/wiki/w/whs/whs-log-files-location.aspx

With no luck but i'll be honest I'm not really sure what i'm looking for.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:20 AM
  • Hi,

I just found that if you try another new back up of your server shares you get to see the log of the last backup including the failures.  This can be copied and pasted out  to a text editor for easy viewing.

Still think there's room for a more comprehensive backup log viewing feature of some kind. 

Another Add-In maybe?  :-)

Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:32 AM