Upgrading PC with Windows XP Pro RETAIL RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a RETAIL box version of Windows XP Pro which I have installed on my self-built PC. The PC is now about 3 years old and I wish to upgrade 90% of the parts (keeping only the LCD monitor and DVD burner).

Is the windows xp pro retail box license is a machine license or user license? I may be able to find answer by reading it through and figure it out but I hope it's a lot faster to get answer here.

What I plan to do is either:

a. Totally remove Windows XP installation on the old PC & hard drive (including formatting the old HDD) and dispose the old PC as parts without the operating system, and get a whole new motherboard, cpu, HDD for the new PC and reinstall my retail Windows XP on the new PC and go through all the XP SP2 updates etc...

or

b. Move my whole content of old Hard Drive including installation of Windows XP to my new hard drive, then format the old Hard Drive and sell it as parts. The new hard drive will be installed in the NEW PC and the rest of the parts of the old PC will also be sold as parts..

Either way the old PC will be sold; either as a set or as separate parts without the OS. Am I allowed to do that or once the XP is installed on the old machine it has to go with that machine and I have to buy another retail box version for my new PC?

I know some software particularly GPS navigation like SmartST Navman is a device licensed software which means if I upgrade my old PDA/PocketPC and buy a faster new PocketPC, the software has to go with the old device, and I have to get a new software for the new device.

Saturday, December 9, 2006 2:51 AM

Answers

• RSOP,

The retail full packaged product license for XP is not associated with hardware in the manner that an OEM license is, and therfore the retail license can be moved from one computer to another.

Saturday, December 9, 2006 4:23 AM
  • Hi vtabs,
    As long as both operating system copies are Retail versions, they can be swapped. However, if one or both are OEM versions, they cannot be.

Regards,
    Jenifer
    • Marked as answer by JeniferA Monday, September 22, 2008 4:56 PM
    Monday, September 22, 2008 4:56 PM

All replies

• RSOP,

The retail full packaged product license for XP is not associated with hardware in the manner that an OEM license is, and therfore the retail license can be moved from one computer to another.

Saturday, December 9, 2006 4:23 AM
  • Kinda similar to the issue above:

I have two computers.  Computer#1(Desktop) is running with XP Pro and Computer#2(Laptop) is running XP Home.  Can I swap my OS?  Meaning can I install XP Pro to my Computer#2 and install XP Home to Computer#1?

Thanks...
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:04 PM
  • Hi vtabs,
    As long as both operating system copies are Retail versions, they can be swapped. However, if one or both are OEM versions, they cannot be.

Regards,
    Jenifer
    • Marked as answer by JeniferA Monday, September 22, 2008 4:56 PM
    Monday, September 22, 2008 4:56 PM