Dynamics CRM 2016 On Premise release date and upgrade path RRS feed

• Question

• Been finding it hard to locate a reliable source of information for this. I have two questions:

1. When will Dynamics CRM 2016 be available for on premise installation?
    2. When upgrading from Dynamics CRM 2011, is 2016 a service pack or another upgrade?

To clarify question 2: I would normally create a 2013 temporary box and build a 2015 production instance.  I would move the database from box to box and perform each upgrade in sequence.

Now that 2016 is around and customers are asking about it.  Am I looking at:

1. temporary 2015 box and a production 2016 box or;
    2. am I expected to run a service pack on the 2015 box to make it 2016.

The reason for the question is not only so that I know what I am doing but it is also about estimating the time and materials that I need to conduct the upgrade.  I am not a fan of in-place upgrades.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 9:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Gordon,

For answering your question #2, there are a couple of options when upgrading from CRM 2011 to 2016:

1. Upgrade current on-premise CRM database to 2016
    2. Create a new on-premise CRM 2016 environment and migrate data

For Option 1, you have to upgrade your database in the order of: 2011->2013->2015->2016.

For Option 2, you would just create a new instance of CRM 2016 on premise and use a tool to migrate your data to the new instance.

Which option is better depends on the client. We have had clients that have a huge amount of data in their on-premise database, in which case Option #1 was the better choice. Other clients did not have that much data, so it took less effort to perform Option #2.

Hope that helps.

John

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 5:52 PM

All replies

• I can see that Dynamics CRM 2016 is available from PartnerSource so presumably that means it is available.

Would still be useful to have that confirmed and to know the upgrade path.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 2:42 PM
  • Hi Gordon,

For answering your question #2, there are a couple of options when upgrading from CRM 2011 to 2016:

1. Upgrade current on-premise CRM database to 2016
    2. Create a new on-premise CRM 2016 environment and migrate data

For Option 1, you have to upgrade your database in the order of: 2011->2013->2015->2016.

For Option 2, you would just create a new instance of CRM 2016 on premise and use a tool to migrate your data to the new instance.

Which option is better depends on the client. We have had clients that have a huge amount of data in their on-premise database, in which case Option #1 was the better choice. Other clients did not have that much data, so it took less effort to perform Option #2.

Hope that helps.

John

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 5:52 PM
  • Thank you for the answer.

Not sure why this information is not expressed more clearly on the Microsoft sites.  I don't like to assume anything but what you say matches what I thought.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 8:58 AM