Remotely accessing Windows7 computer RRS feed

• Question

• I am running windows 7 ultimate on my desktop. I want to access it remotely through my WHS. I can see the computer under  the “Computers” tab on my WHS web page. The computer is identified as “Available for Connection”. When I click on the computers link, I get a window that allows me to set my connection speed i.e. broadband or modem. I progress past that to a login screen that contains 2 links, administrator and other. When I click the administrator link,  I get a message advising me that my account has been disabled and I should check with my administrator. How do I re-enable the link?

When  I click the other link, I am prompted to enter a username and password. How do I determine the username and password?

Thanks,

Steve

Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:19 AM

All replies

• I am running windows 7 ultimate on my desktop. I want to access it remotely through my WHS. I can see the computer under  the “Computers” tab on my WHS web page. The computer is identified as “Available for Connection”. When I click on the computers link, I get a window that allows me to set my connection speed i.e. broadband or modem. I progress past that to a login screen that contains 2 links, administrator and other. When I click the administrator link,  I get a message advising me that my account has been disabled and I should check with my administrator. How do I re-enable the link?

When  I click the other link, I am prompted to enter a username and password. How do I determine the username and password?

Thanks,

Steve

Your questions are really geared more toward Win7 (not WHS), but to answer your questions:  1) The administrator account is disabled by default.  It can be re-enabled by going into Computer Management, but I would strongly advise against it.  2)  The "other" is for any other user account that is already on that client (providing that user account has the necessary permissions to be able to use RDC).
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 4:35 AM
  • On the windows 7 machine, go to control panel, users, and note the name of the local user.  You may, for a test, wish to create a new user, with a password.  A password will be required on any account which will be accessed over the network.

So--if your "normal" logon account has no password, you may need to change this to have remote access to it.  You can still arrange for an autologon, with some effort, so that no password needs to be entered at startup, I believe.

When connecting, you may need to enter the credentials as domain\username, and then the password.  For domain, substitute the machinename of the Windows 7 machine.
     "SteveO59" wrote in message news:98f817cf-9f1a-4a4f-96bd-96790c2af710@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I am running windows 7 ultimate on my desktop. I want to access it remotely through my WHS. I can see the computer under  the “Computers” tab on my WHS web page. The computer is identified as “Available for Connection”. When I click on the computers link, I get a window that allows me to set my connection speed i.e. broadband or modem. I progress past that to a login screen that contains 2 links, administrator and other. When I click the administrator link,  I get a message advising me that my account has been disabled and I should check with my administrator. How do I re-enable the link?

Thanks,

Steve

Bill Sanderson
    Monday, June 14, 2010 11:31 PM
  • On the windows 7 machine, go to control panel, users, and note the name of the local user.  You may, for a test, wish to create a new user, with a password.  A password will be required on any account which will be accessed over the network. 
    Actually, you don't have to have a password for a RDC if you disable one of the Security Options ("Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only") in Group Policy Editor on the client you're connecting to.

So--if your "normal" logon account has no password, you may need to change this to have remote access to it.  You can still arrange for an autologon, with some effort, so that no password needs to be entered at startup, I believe.

When connecting, you may need to enter the credentials as domain\username, and then the password.  For domain, substitute the machinename of the Windows 7 machine.

Bill Sanderson

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 4:09 AM
  • On 6/9/2010 10:19 PM, SteveO59 wrote:

I am running windows 7 ultimate on my desktop. I want to access it remotely through my WHS. I can see the computer under  the “Computers” tab on my WHS web page. The computer is identified as “Available for Connection”. When I click on the computers link, I get a window that allows me to set my connection speed i.e. broadband or modem. I progress past that to a login screen that contains 2 links, administrator and other. When I click the administrator link,  I get a message advising me that my account has been disabled and I should check with my administrator. How do I re-enable the link?

Thanks,

Steve

Hello Steve,

Going along with what the others have said, you would use the same
    username that you originally logged into your WHS website with (since
    you shouldn't be logging into the website with your Administrator account).

So, for example, if you're logging into your WHS site with Steve, then
    that would be the name you put in Other (along with whatever password
    you logged in with).

In short, it's whatever username you normally use on the Windows 7 PC
    when you're sitting at it (as Kariya pointed out).  Also as Kariya
    pointed out, you need to have the username configured in WHS as having
    Remote Access capabilities (and on the list of users in the Windows 7 PC
    who can login through Remote Desktop Connection).

Hope this helps, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated your OS and Antivirus today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:25 AM