Office 2000 "work with me" RRS feed

• Question

• How the heck do I get the darn "Work with me" tool bar in Office 2000 to behave and stay where I place it? And how the heck do I stop SharedView from modifying my Normal.dot file every time I open Word? 

Can't Microsoft creat a product that stays in it's own corner and plays nice with other programs?  Ok, I get it, Microsoft is the borg and resistance is futile. 

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 12:56 PM

Answers

• Thank you for using SharedView Beta. We will consider these improvements in our upcoming releases.

Thanks again for your forum posts!

Maria

Friday, June 15, 2007 5:19 PM

All replies

• Thank you for using SharedView and for the feedback you provided. We are continuing to make investments in improving the customer experience and will consider the Office add-ins in our plans.

Are you not able to place the tool bar in a location that you want?

Can you please check if "Use Track Chnages" in your Options is checked?

Thanks

Maria

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 6:23 PM
  • I am able to move the tool bar where I want, but it won't stay in that location from one Word session to the next.  It keeps going to the third row down, and I want it to be in the second row (and only two rows).

Every time I close Word now, it tells me normal.dot has been modified and do I want to save it.  This occurs even when I just open Word, do absolutely nothing, and close word. 

I tried working with "Use Track Changes" checked and un-checked and the result is the same.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 5:48 PM
  • Thank you for using SharedView Beta. We will consider these improvements in our upcoming releases.

Thanks again for your forum posts!

Maria

Friday, June 15, 2007 5:19 PM
  • Hi all - this was driving me crazy too but I may have found the answer. 

Instructions to uncheck something in Options didn't help.  (The only checkbox I found in Options that refers to Word is labeled "Use Track Changes," which doesn't seem to refer to enabling/disabling Word SharedView integration itself.  If it really means this, IMHO it's drastically mislabeled!) 

Turned out SharedView was being run via a registry key for Word COM add-ins that don't show up in Tools | COM Addins.  This tricky little "feature" exists in Word when COM addins are installed to run for all users.  They then appear in the reg key below, but aren't visible from Word.  Pretty maddening.  Thanks to Ryan Christiansen at blogs.technet.com for this info.

Reg key:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins.  Why would Microsoft have a way to install COM Addins whose existence are invisible from within Word?  <Sigh>

Not sure why this fix wasn't mentioned in this thread by a moderator.  Cameron, am I missing something, or is this a legitimate caveat that should be made known?

Monday, September 1, 2008 3:14 PM