Move XP Pro From Dead Laptop to Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• I have a dead IBM ThinkPad with XP Pro. I would like to move the license key from this dead laptop to my desktop, which currently has XP Home. I have a couple of questions. First, how do I determine if the XP Pro license is an OEM license or not? And second, where can I get XP Pro install disks.

Thanks,

Chip
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 6:49 PM

Answers

• Chip Auger,

Look on the bottom of the ThinkPad for the Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity.

The first line will be the Product.  Does it read Windows XP Professional?

The second line will be the manufacturer.  Does it read IBM or Lenovo?

If yes to both, then the Windows XP Pro that came with the computer is an OEM license which is permanently tied to that specific IBM laptop and is not permitted by the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) to be moved from that specific laptop to any other computer.

In such case, pleae visit your favorite online or local retailer and purchase a valid license for XP Pro to install on the desktop computer.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by RickImAPC Monday, August 25, 2008 6:04 PM
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 4:15 AM

All replies

• If the "dead" IBM Thinkpad cannot boot into Windows XP, then there is no way to determine if it has an OEM or retail Windows XP license.
    You did not mention if this computer is bootable into Windows XP or not.

Please note: I am not a Microsoft employee...only a voluntary forum contributor.
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 2:41 AM
  • Chip Auger,

Look on the bottom of the ThinkPad for the Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity.

The first line will be the Product.  Does it read Windows XP Professional?

The second line will be the manufacturer.  Does it read IBM or Lenovo?

If yes to both, then the Windows XP Pro that came with the computer is an OEM license which is permanently tied to that specific IBM laptop and is not permitted by the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) to be moved from that specific laptop to any other computer.

In such case, pleae visit your favorite online or local retailer and purchase a valid license for XP Pro to install on the desktop computer.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by RickImAPC Monday, August 25, 2008 6:04 PM
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 4:15 AM