Help with converting bad copy of XP Professional to a brought key without reformating RRS feed

• Question

• Hi sorry all for the long winded title. basicly i have one problem .My partner recently brought a new pc from an independant company, as i am aware they have installed a bad copy of xp professional, but the disk did not come with the pc. My partner already has a full copy of XP Professional (for pc's without Windows or PC's with Windows 95 or Earlier) that she brought but has never used it. What i want to know is there a way of changing the key over to the new one without format. I know windows has a tool that can do this but is only availble though the windows advantage kit.

Saturday, May 6, 2006 9:31 AM

Answers

• Thanks for your patience Dan.

We'll get this pushed within the next 24 business hours. I'll follow up here as well to make sure its been addressed.

-Phil Liu

Friday, May 19, 2006 6:18 PM

All replies

• I am very sorry for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you. We have seen many issues where System Builders may have used Invalid Product keys to install their systems. This has in fact caused problems for their customers. Genuine Advantage assists Microsoft customers determine the validity of their Windows Software so they can take full advantage of the Genuine Benefits.

If you could create a free support incident at this location we will be able to assist you in determine the validity of the product key and the options available to you at this time.

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

In the support incident you create above and NOT in this forum also provide us with the Product Key that was used to install Windows on your computer.

Could you please also run the Diagnostic tool here and provide us the information:

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

After running the tool you can use the copy function to copy and paste the info from the tool into your case note before submitting the incident. 

Thank you and I trust we will be able to resolve this issue to your satisfaction very soon...

Dave

Monday, May 8, 2006 2:29 AM
  • Thank you for your help, but Microsoft has not replyed to my email which was sent on the 10th May its now the 15th?? The email stated that i would have a reply in 1 working day. We would like to get this matter solved asap.

Thanks

Monday, May 15, 2006 8:05 PM
  • Dan:

Do you have a service request number written down so we can track this issue?

-Phil Liu

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 3:47 AM
  • sure its SRZ060510003099
    Friday, May 19, 2006 9:09 AM
  • Thanks for your patience Dan.

We'll get this pushed within the next 24 business hours. I'll follow up here as well to make sure its been addressed.

-Phil Liu

Friday, May 19, 2006 6:18 PM