Set Default View on Outlook Client 2010 for CRM 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Gidday Earthlings,,,

I am trying to set the default view for different navigation items on MS Outlook 2010 client for CRM 2011. (These navigation items are from the same entity) 

User has the option to change the view according to his requirement. But there should be a way he should be able to set the one default view for web client and another for outlook client. This is getting worse if you use the same entity multiple times in the sitemap as a customer requirement where they need to show them according to user role. So, as my concern this is a scenario where a user could get annoyed if he has to change the default view every time. 

It would be great if someone could help me out to fix this issue. 

Regards,

Another Earthling...

Friday, June 1, 2012 6:46 AM

All replies

• With CRM for Outlook a user can pin multiple views, and with the web client a user can set one view as their default view. So CRM already meets one of your requirements.

It sounds as though you have also created different entity types and created SiteMap links for each type of entity. In your link you should be able to specify which view is opened when the user clicks on the link. So I'm not sure I understand your requirement here.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Slalom Consulting. Find me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Friday, June 1, 2012 10:34 PM
  • Hi Neil,

Thanks for your reply. The scenario with me to define a default view in Outlook client 2010. The web client is working fine and I have used the method you have mentioned in your post.

I have created views according the the company structure. ( So the General manager should get a different view, Board of directors should get a different view, Data Operator should get a different view... etc). All of these should be set on Outlook client 2010.

I would be glad if you could direct me on how to set the default view for different entities in Outlook client 2010?

Sunday, June 3, 2012 11:01 PM
  • You can only set one default view for each entity and this will apply to the web client and CRM for Outlook unless the user sets their own personal default view. You can set a user's default view programmatically using methods described in the SDK, but not using the standard administration/customization features.

Another alternative is to use some of the free tools available from Codeplex (for example: http://crm2011ldgmanager.codeplex.com/) that provide additional view management features that might meet your requirements.

Hope this helps.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Slalom Consulting. Find me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Monday, June 4, 2012 1:55 AM