Backup Takes an inordinate amount of time then gets stuck at 62% RRS feed

• Question

• Had a WHS2011 server since day one with backups to a WD MYBOOK. A few weeks ago, started getting BACKUP DID NOT COMPELTE. I noticed that there was room but not much on the Mybook (2TB). So I formated it and plugged it back in again, was okay for a few days but then same thing. I figured the drive was just shot so I bought another one (2TB). Same deal, so now I'm stumped. I don't have 2TB of data so I don't think that is the issue. But all of my disks is over 2TB. I was thinking of getting a 4TB and trying that, but I don't think that is the issue.

Was wondering if someone had any ideas.

I used to be one of those guys that read the posts here thinking, too bad cause I've had it pretty smooth till now. But now I'm one of them.

Thanks....

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 4:01 PM

Answers

• Hi rdmsys,

Could you have a look at Event Viewer, preferably within an hour after the Server Backup fails? It could be that the WD is faulty but you may also have issues with a HDD within the Server. You would expect Event ID 11 atapi or Disk for instance with errors on controller x or somesuch (but look at other events as well that could relate to this. VSS/volsnap can report some and whatnot). Running chkdsk /r on all HDDs might be a good idea (you may want to assign a drive letter to the WD for that temporariliy through Start -> search for Computer Managament -> Storage -> Disk Managament -> Select WD -> right mouse Change Drive Letter and Paths. You can also run chkdsk with a volume name but then you need to do a mountvol through cmd first I think to find it and to me it is more of a hassle).

Also, do you have any HDD checking software? You might want to try out stablebit.com for Scanner. It will scan the surface of the HDDs for errors and report on that and SMART. I think there is a 30 day trial period and now might be a good time to give it a go.

In short:
    1. Event Viewer
    2. Chkdsk /r
    3. Stablebit Scanner.

You can certainly use a 4TB drive but from what I read here it seems unneccesary. Bear in mind that some have issues with using >2TB backup HDDs attached through USB. If the SATA-USB bridge does not report the HDD as a 512e / Advanced Format drive, Server Backup will fail.

• Edited by Umfriend Thursday, March 5, 2015 6:52 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Monday, March 9, 2015 11:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Thursday, March 19, 2015 5:25 AM
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 6:50 AM

All replies

• Hi rdmsys,

Could you have a look at Event Viewer, preferably within an hour after the Server Backup fails? It could be that the WD is faulty but you may also have issues with a HDD within the Server. You would expect Event ID 11 atapi or Disk for instance with errors on controller x or somesuch (but look at other events as well that could relate to this. VSS/volsnap can report some and whatnot). Running chkdsk /r on all HDDs might be a good idea (you may want to assign a drive letter to the WD for that temporariliy through Start -> search for Computer Managament -> Storage -> Disk Managament -> Select WD -> right mouse Change Drive Letter and Paths. You can also run chkdsk with a volume name but then you need to do a mountvol through cmd first I think to find it and to me it is more of a hassle).

Also, do you have any HDD checking software? You might want to try out stablebit.com for Scanner. It will scan the surface of the HDDs for errors and report on that and SMART. I think there is a 30 day trial period and now might be a good time to give it a go.

In short:
    1. Event Viewer
    2. Chkdsk /r
    3. Stablebit Scanner.

You can certainly use a 4TB drive but from what I read here it seems unneccesary. Bear in mind that some have issues with using >2TB backup HDDs attached through USB. If the SATA-USB bridge does not report the HDD as a 512e / Advanced Format drive, Server Backup will fail.

• Edited by Umfriend Thursday, March 5, 2015 6:52 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Monday, March 9, 2015 11:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Thursday, March 19, 2015 5:25 AM
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 6:50 AM
  • THANKS MUCH Umfriend!

I will check out your advice ASAP....

Thanks again!

Thursday, March 5, 2015 2:17 PM
  • Well it seems you were correct:

First, I see this one:

Filter Manager failed to attach to volume '\Device\HarddiskVolume15'.  This volume will be unavailable for filtering until a reboot.  The final status was 0xc03a001c.

Then this:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2.

I'm not sure what the first one is. But the second looks bad. I'm not sure what DR2 is?

I will try the STABLEBIT scanner to see if can correct it.

Thanks again, Umfriend...

Thursday, March 5, 2015 4:13 PM
  • Yeah, DR2 is, I think, Drive 2, which does not really help. You know, it may just turn out to be a problem with a filesystem, perhaps due to a sudden power failure or a sector going bad. It could also be that the cable is not optimal or not optimally seated. A chkdsk /r on all drives may still be a good idea. But yes, Scanner will tell you if there is a real problem with a drive and in such a case, it may need replacing. Let us know how you fare.
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 8:12 PM