FastTrak 378 driver issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard with 4 SATA ports, 2 of which are tied to a Promise FastTrak 378 controller. I managed to install Home Server successfully on the non-Promise ports. I am now trying to install a couple more drives on the Promise ports. The controller is configured in the BIOS for IDE mode of operation. When I try to install the Win2003 ATA drivers for the controller, Home Server errors out trying to start the device. Anyone have any advice?
    Sunday, April 6, 2008 11:32 PM

Answers

• Your files may still be fine. Check on the old drives, in a (hidden) folder named "DE". You should find a folder Shares, and inside that you should find your missing files.

You may want to read up on Drive Extender.
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 1:37 AM

All replies

• Question: are you sure you're installing the correct drivers? Where did you obtain them?

I'll also note that the newest drivers for that MB appear to be from late 2003. It might be time to upgrade.
    Monday, April 7, 2008 5:06 PM
  • I think I've solved the problem. I reinstalled WHS using a different set of drives connected to the Promise ports. Went through the F6 routine and everything loaded up and is running fine. In the process, I think I lost a terabyte of video files. I took the original drives out thinking I could re-copy the videos (from the shared folder) over to the new installation using my home computer and an external enclosure. I'm getting the dreaded 'Invalid File Handle' error on all the videos. It's not a good feeling knowing that about 100 movies may be gone and I had no backup! I wonder is this is the data corruption issue everyone is buzzing about...

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 12:21 AM
  • Your files may still be fine. Check on the old drives, in a (hidden) folder named "DE". You should find a folder Shares, and inside that you should find your missing files.

You may want to read up on Drive Extender.
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 1:37 AM
  • Thanks for the info. Somehow, I was able to reproduce my original installation setup and am able to access those files and get them onto a backup drive! I will read up on the drive extender stuff. Thanks again!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 2:59 AM