I would like to format my external backup HD and start over. It seems when I do this that the old entries still appear how can I clear these? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to format my external backup HD and start over. It seems when I do this that the old entries still appear how can I clear these?

Thanks

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:30 PM

Answers

• If you go to disk management  right click computer->manage and chose storage then disk manager.  you can find the drive in question right click and delete volume.  Then rerun the server backup wizard and chose the drive from the list or select show all drives and then select if from that list. 

Ron

• Marked as answer by jshoemaker21 Monday, January 23, 2012 1:42 AM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 3:58 PM

All replies

• If you go to disk management  right click computer->manage and chose storage then disk manager.  you can find the drive in question right click and delete volume.  Then rerun the server backup wizard and chose the drive from the list or select show all drives and then select if from that list. 

Ron

• Marked as answer by jshoemaker21 Monday, January 23, 2012 1:42 AM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 3:58 PM
  • That will actually delete the server backup list with the old dates?

Just making sure.

Thanks

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 4:19 PM
  • That should have the drive being reformated so what you would see would be a blank disk.  The other option would be to run a low level utility that would return it back to factory (write all zero's to drive)  However removing the volume information and reformatting would do the same thing for any ui that just reads the MFT.  If the drive was set up using the GPT method Im not really sure as I dont have drives larger than 2T to learn much about the GPT method.

Ron

Sunday, January 22, 2012 8:08 PM
  • While all that's true, you are not really answering the WHS question. As far as I am aware, there is no supported way of deleting references to old server backups. They will however eventually time out and will be removed from the list when WHS decides to do so!!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 8:51 PM
  • As Phil says, there is no supported way (ie from the cute Dashboard GUI). It's been a while, but the last time I needed to completely wipe out my backups, I found it to be a three step process. As an FYI, you do NOT need to format the backup HD before this. Once you go to re setup everything in step 3, it will offer to format the drive.

1. From the Powershell, issue a "wbadmin delete catalog". That gets clears the reference to the backups. As a side note, this step does NOT actually delete them from the designated hard disk. This just clears the backup program's catalog.

2. Unfortunately, the WHS Dashboard doesn't seem to get its stuff from the actual catalog. It gets its info about available backups from the windows logs. So, at this stage, WHS still thinks there are available backups. You need to get rid of the event logs so that WHS doesn't display them. So, go to the Event Viewer, go to "Application and Services Logs", then go to Microsoft, then go to Backup, then to Operational. Delete all of these logs.

3. That should clear everything out. You can now re-setup your system backups in WHS. When you set it up, if you designate a hard drive that still has existing backups on it, it will give you the option to re-import them into a new catalog or to format that hard disk.

All I can say is thank god WHS is still a just Windows Server 2008 behind the scenes. It just doesn't dummy proof enough stuff in the dashboard to make it seamless. I still find the need to go do things manually.

• Edited by scurrah3 Monday, January 23, 2012 1:16 AM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 1:11 AM
  • I appreciate the help. The UPS I mentioned will work just fine Ken. If it were for a server at work I would think twice. Appreciate the help everyone.

If the first thing Bug said works for WHS that's what I can do.

James A+, Network+, MCP

Monday, January 23, 2012 1:41 AM