BSOD "unmountabe boot volume" while loading windows home server RRS feed

• Question

• While trying to load windows home server i go all the way through the process until the machine reboots then on reboot the bios loads i get the loading windows it speeds through this and then i get the bsod unmountable boot volume.

I am using a Sata drive that worked in the computer prior to my changing computer to a server.

Saturday, July 23, 2011 6:11 PM

Answers

• Ok i got it solved.  This computer was being used as a desktop computer and i went and totally rewrote 0's to the hard drive.  I then went about my merry way.  I got mad because it wouldn't do what i wanted it to so i went into the bios and totally started it over from scratch as well and when i reset the CMOS back to factory it went and installed the way that it was supposed to.  Thanks guys for your help.  I should have done this from the start and then i wouldn't have been here but i did learn alot.
    mcclearysteve
    • Marked as answer by mcclearysteve Sunday, July 24, 2011 7:46 PM
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 7:46 PM

All replies

• Check the disk for bad sectors by running chkdsk, also while installing windows don't do a quick format but do a full one which will check & mark bad sectors.
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 7:32 PM
  • i wrote all 0's to disk and did a test of the disk using a program provided by Western Digital
    mcclearysteve
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 8:33 PM
  • Have you tried another sata port/cable?
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 9:05 PM
  • i just did same outcome

mcclearysteve
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 9:31 PM
  • Post some more information: Motherboard? RAID? AHCI/IDE? Drivers?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 9:45 PM
  • The motherboard is a DFI INFINITY NF650I ULTRA-T2 No Raid  Sata was a clean install.

Seagate 750 gig hard drive

mcclearysteve

• Edited by mcclearysteve Saturday, July 23, 2011 10:05 PM more info
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 10:02 PM
  • How is the BIOS set for your SATA drive (AHCI or IDE)? If AHCI, try a re-install with it set to IDE.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 10:24 PM
  • i wrote all 0's to disk and did a test of the disk using a program provided by Western Digital
    mcclearysteve

It may be worth running chkdsk /f /r from the windows recovery console too. Not sure if WHS has this? and perhaps attempt repair of the boot sector using bootsect command.
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 8:25 AM
  • I'm getting to the same place as Phil--because I've been there and this smacks of AHCI with no installed driver: verify/set the BIOS to use the SATA channel in IDE mode and try rebooting. If you get it booted that way, force install AHCI drivers for your chipset then go into BIOS, set it to AHCI, and reboot.
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 7:10 PM
  • Ok i got it solved.  This computer was being used as a desktop computer and i went and totally rewrote 0's to the hard drive.  I then went about my merry way.  I got mad because it wouldn't do what i wanted it to so i went into the bios and totally started it over from scratch as well and when i reset the CMOS back to factory it went and installed the way that it was supposed to.  Thanks guys for your help.  I should have done this from the start and then i wouldn't have been here but i did learn alot.
    mcclearysteve
    • Marked as answer by mcclearysteve Sunday, July 24, 2011 7:46 PM
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 7:46 PM
  • So what had you been fiddling with in the BIOS that you forgot to mention as we floundered around clutching at straws - overclocking?

Sunday, July 24, 2011 8:15 PM