Moving Drives from old WHS Server to new one RRS feed

• Question

•  

So I am thinking about returning my HP MSS and building one from scratch, there is not enough expandability in the HP for my needs, live and learn oh well... personally like the unit... question is.

Can the drives in the shared pool be removed "as is" and placed in a new box without data being lost, or do I need to go through the remove drive option, place into new server then recopy data to new WHS box. I was also considering attaching the WHS drives to a PC and coping the data to the new WHS machine then installing the drives one by one as all of the data is moved off.

Anyone have an easier way?

Cheers

Friday, January 4, 2008 5:27 PM

Answers

• In theory, yes, you should be able to transfer the drives 'as is', ensuring they are connected in exactly the same order as now. You would then boot from your new version of the OEM software and select re-install, this would then require re-registering.

Personally, I would use the WHS facilities to remove at least one drive, transferring the data from that to the remaining drives and then use that drive to set up your new box. It is then possible to add the 'old' drives, one at a time, to the new server and then prior to adding them to the storage pool, transfer the data off them.

Colin

Friday, January 4, 2008 6:19 PM
  • I personally built the new server, had it running and ready, then moved data over in large chunks, then when could removed drives one by one from  the old server to the new one using the add/remove function. This was there wasnt any migration issues of data, and no way could get corrupt. Plus who doesnt like starting with something fresh. I did it with 5 pcs and 300gb of data. It took a few days but went well.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:37 PM

All replies

• In theory, yes, you should be able to transfer the drives 'as is', ensuring they are connected in exactly the same order as now. You would then boot from your new version of the OEM software and select re-install, this would then require re-registering.

Personally, I would use the WHS facilities to remove at least one drive, transferring the data from that to the remaining drives and then use that drive to set up your new box. It is then possible to add the 'old' drives, one at a time, to the new server and then prior to adding them to the storage pool, transfer the data off them.

Colin

Friday, January 4, 2008 6:19 PM
  • I personally built the new server, had it running and ready, then moved data over in large chunks, then when could removed drives one by one from  the old server to the new one using the add/remove function. This was there wasnt any migration issues of data, and no way could get corrupt. Plus who doesnt like starting with something fresh. I did it with 5 pcs and 300gb of data. It took a few days but went well.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:37 PM