Tune Up virus scan hangs at 90% RRS feed

• Question

• When I run a normal virus scan independently, it runs normally and finds 7 viruses and worms (I assume buried in emails but never opened).  They are blocked, but not removed. 

However, when the virus and spyware scan runs as part of a scheduled tune-up, it never completes.  It starts at 1am, and when I check the computer at 8am, it's hung and I need to use CTRL-ALT-DELETE to stop it from continuing. 

I've emailed Live OneCare tech support, and they asked me to delete certain emails and send a report.  I did this, but the problem continued.  Further emails to the support guy and his supervisor have never yielded a response.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem?  I can't complete tune-ups until I solve it.

Thanks!

Gary

Monday, December 3, 2007 4:41 PM

Answers

• I guess that I should have moved the FAQ for this issue over to the new folders.... Sorry that you're encountering this problem.

First of all, please post your support case ID and I'll see if I can get someone to follow-up and determine why support has not gotten back to you.

The main reason for the "stuck at 90%" issue when scanning, is that OneCare is preparing the last scan report *and* taking actions to clean the infections from the PC. Apparently, when you submitted the logs to support, they identified the infected attachments in your email message store, advising you to remove them. Until they are removed and permanently deleted, you may continue to see this issue - though why it hangs to the point that it appears to be or *is* locked up isn't known to me.

Continuing to work with support to identify the cause is the way to go, but first we need to make sure that the case is still active.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 5:44 PM
  • Steve -

I resolved my issue today courtesy of a support phone call from Microsoft.  Ganesh took remote charge of my PC, and showed me a list of the emails which contained infected attachments.  I deleted the entire archive pst. file which had all of the bad emails, after putting it on a spare external hard drive in case I needed to find an old email someday. 

Then I ran the Tuneup, including the virus scan, and the scan ran normally, not finding any viruses. 

Ganesh agreed that OneCare has some work to do as this is a common issue.  Currently, the program can be hung up when it encounters virus in an email attachment during a complete disk virus scan, and it just stops - no error message, no indication as to what the user can do to prevent it happening again.  I had a list of the viruses, but it was not clear how to find their locations until Ganesh showed me how.  It is NOT intutive or something a normal user could figure out.

To find the location of the infected emails, you need to click on Change Settings/Logging/Support Log.  The support log contains complete paths for all the suspect mail.  But who would think to go there via "Change Settings"? 

I look forward to a future iteration of the program which will make this process more straightforward, but meanwhile my particular problem is resolved.

Thanks!

Gary

Saturday, December 22, 2007 6:29 AM

All replies

• I guess that I should have moved the FAQ for this issue over to the new folders.... Sorry that you're encountering this problem.

First of all, please post your support case ID and I'll see if I can get someone to follow-up and determine why support has not gotten back to you.

The main reason for the "stuck at 90%" issue when scanning, is that OneCare is preparing the last scan report *and* taking actions to clean the infections from the PC. Apparently, when you submitted the logs to support, they identified the infected attachments in your email message store, advising you to remove them. Until they are removed and permanently deleted, you may continue to see this issue - though why it hangs to the point that it appears to be or *is* locked up isn't known to me.

Continuing to work with support to identify the cause is the way to go, but first we need to make sure that the case is still active.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 5:44 PM
  • Steve -

Thanks for your very useful reply.  Bruce Wang was responding to my problem for OneCare support, and my case number was SRX1047979959.  He did not respond to my last requests for help.

Just to clarify, I did delete the all the emails he listed in his original response, but it had no affect on the list of blocked viruses and spyware that appears at the end of scans - same before, as after I deleted the files.

Is the scan actually locked, or still working?  Here's the scenario: Started the tune-up at 1am; next morning - 7 hours later - the scan is still in progress, and none of the buttons in the dialog box will pause or cancel it.  I can only stop it using Task Manager. 

Quick scans, done manually, produce the exact same list of blocked malware, but without hanging.

Look forward to hearing back as to how I might clear up this issue.

Thanks!

Gary

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 5:06 PM
  • Hi, Gary, and thanks for the case ID and additional details. I've contact Microsoft and pointed them to this thread and asked someone to look into your case.

-steve

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:40 PM
  • Steve -

Thanks for passing my case along.  I'll add to this thread when there's some resolution with Microsoft, for the benefit of someone experiencing similar problems in the future.

Gary

Thursday, December 6, 2007 1:42 AM
  • Steve -

Haven't heard from Microsoft as of today.  My latest Tune-Up was still running when I opened up my laptop this morning,a and this time the virus scan was grinding away with no progress bar or percentage visible at all (the bar was blank).  I had to use Task Manager to stop the program. 

I'm currently running the Trial Version of OneCare (just updated), but I can't see purchasing it if I can't run a complete virus scan. 

Thanks!

Gary

Monday, December 10, 2007 4:42 PM
  • I'm sorry to read that support hasn't gotten back to you yet, but if you've scanned the forums, you'll note that their hands are probably full with some issues, including this one, that cropped up in v2 which was deployed to many systems over the past few weeks. There are others reporting the same problem that you are having, so if you can hang in there, I am hopeful that we'll see a fix soon. (or you'll finally hear from support!)

-steve

Monday, December 10, 2007 6:52 PM
  • Steve -

Super useful reply, thanks!  Hearing that I'm not alone, and work on the issue is progressing, is reassuring.  I can do manual (quick) scans as a workaround until the full scan (during Tune Up) issue is resolved, as those work without hanging up. 

Thanks!

Gary

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 6:11 AM
  • I'm glad you are okay with that reply and have a workaround for now.  I'll feel better when it actually *is* fixed!

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 5:19 PM
  • Steve -

I resolved my issue today courtesy of a support phone call from Microsoft.  Ganesh took remote charge of my PC, and showed me a list of the emails which contained infected attachments.  I deleted the entire archive pst. file which had all of the bad emails, after putting it on a spare external hard drive in case I needed to find an old email someday. 

Then I ran the Tuneup, including the virus scan, and the scan ran normally, not finding any viruses. 

Ganesh agreed that OneCare has some work to do as this is a common issue.  Currently, the program can be hung up when it encounters virus in an email attachment during a complete disk virus scan, and it just stops - no error message, no indication as to what the user can do to prevent it happening again.  I had a list of the viruses, but it was not clear how to find their locations until Ganesh showed me how.  It is NOT intutive or something a normal user could figure out.

To find the location of the infected emails, you need to click on Change Settings/Logging/Support Log.  The support log contains complete paths for all the suspect mail.  But who would think to go there via "Change Settings"? 

I look forward to a future iteration of the program which will make this process more straightforward, but meanwhile my particular problem is resolved.

Thanks!

Gary

Saturday, December 22, 2007 6:29 AM
  • Thanks for the information on how it fixed it for you. I agree that the very helpful information in the Support Log really needs to be available more readily from the virus scan portion of OneCare.

-steve

Sunday, December 23, 2007 5:49 PM