none
restore a system volume on new hard drive. RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am not sure about this.

If my hard drive went bad and I used a new one. Boot the restore CD and picked a restore that WHS made would it restore the hole hard drive just like the one it backed up from? Like a 100% copy of the old drive with the boot and every thing?

I would test this out if I had some other hard drive I could use. But I don't right now.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:17 AM

Answers

• Hi Raymond

Yep, thats exactly what should happen. Just make sure that the replacement hard drive is at least the same size as the one you had and you should be fine.

I have performed a number of restores and never had a problem so far - its much quicker than even just reinstalling the OS!

Andrew

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:31 AM
  •  

Thank you Andrew. That is just what I was hoping it would do. I could not find that reading in here or the help in WHS.

I am using the WHS 120-Day Evaluation and it's working super. When I get my tax return I am going to buy the OEM one. Looking on line I think I can get it for about $180.

Just read that you can put you PC in S3 sleep mode so just the RAM has power, and it will come out to back up and then go back to sleep when it's done. That's very neat.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 12:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Raymond

Yep, thats exactly what should happen. Just make sure that the replacement hard drive is at least the same size as the one you had and you should be fine.

I have performed a number of restores and never had a problem so far - its much quicker than even just reinstalling the OS!

Andrew

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:31 AM
  •  

Thank you Andrew. That is just what I was hoping it would do. I could not find that reading in here or the help in WHS.

I am using the WHS 120-Day Evaluation and it's working super. When I get my tax return I am going to buy the OEM one. Looking on line I think I can get it for about $180.

Just read that you can put you PC in S3 sleep mode so just the RAM has power, and it will come out to back up and then go back to sleep when it's done. That's very neat.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 12:29 AM
  • I just tried to restore a backup to a new HDD of the same size after my original went bad and when I tried to boot with the restore CD all I got was the blue screen of death. Any suggestions on how I can install my backup to the new drive?

Saturday, February 16, 2008 4:37 AM
  • I have a similar problem. I just restored to a new HDD on a laptop, and the new drive will not boot. It will not be recognized as a boot drive. I tried installing an MBR by running the initial portion of XP install, and then did the restore. Apparently the Home Server Install overwrites the MBR, as this new drive would boot before I did the restore.

Any suggestions? Otherwise my concern is that Restore simply doesn't work as advertised, at least when you start with a fresh drive.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 4:16 PM
  • I recently did a drive replacement and it even worked to restore an image from an SATA drive to an IDE drive. The restore software lets you choose the backup and then chose the destination drive if there is more than one.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 4:43 PM
  • I also did a full restore to a new disk with no problems. 

I have a dell M90 laptop.  It came with a100 gig drive (I think).  I was getting all kinds of "delayed write" errors, which caused checkdisk errors etc.  I finally called and Dell shipped me a new 120g drive.  I backed up the Dell, put the new brand new blank drive in, then did a restore.  It took about an hour or so to complete and even extended the drive to use the additional 20 gigs available on the new drive. 

I was most pleased with how easy it was.
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 5:54 PM
  • I can add that in my situation, I just gave up on using the Home Server backup for restore, and tried Norton Ghost, just as an experiment. Sure enough, Ghost worked beautifully. Ghost asks if you want to make the target drive a system drive. MS Restore does not...could this be a problem or oversight or bug in the Home Server Restore? It's definitely a problem unique to Home Server.

Anyway, Ghost restored my drive with no problems and made the drive bootable. Home Server restore always made the same drive unbootable.

As a suggestion to my friends up the road in Redmond, one shouldn't have to use the original restore disks that came with a machine, this should be seamless and single step like Ghost. Come on someone from Microsoft, make the job easy for us just as your competition does!

By the way, the system is a Dell Inspiron 6000, and the System disks are kept on the original drive in a hidden partition (what's with that...when the drive crashes you are hosed anyway!!!)

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:26 PM
  •  Steve Sed wrote:

I have a similar problem. I just restored to a new HDD on a laptop, and the new drive will not boot. It will not be recognized as a boot drive. I tried installing an MBR by running the initial portion of XP install, and then did the restore. Apparently the Home Server Install overwrites the MBR, as this new drive would boot before I did the restore.

Any suggestions? Otherwise my concern is that Restore simply doesn't work as advertised, at least when you start with a fresh drive.

I am also having this same problem.  My PC has two physical drives.  The first drive has two partitions (C and D).  This is the drive that I have upgraded.  The original drive was 250GB (50 for C and the rest for D).  The new drive is 750GB (70 for C and the rest for D).  The first partion on the new drive is marked as active and I also tried running FIXMBR and FIXBOOT to see if that would fix the problem.

The restore process went fine, but the new drive simply will not  boot.  I have  verified that the drive is setup as the boot drive in the BIOS, and all is well.  The system simply hangs with no message after the "Press any key to boot from CD" message.

The new drive seems to be fine.  When I hook it up as a secondary drive, I can access all of the data that was restored to it.  It just doesn't want to boot.

In the past, I did a full restore to the original (250gb) disk and all went fine.  The system booted correctly and worked great.  I just doesn't want to work with this new disk.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:16 AM
  •  

I see that a lot that some people can't get the restore to boot.

I been using True Image Backup. With it you can just restore the MBR if you like.

It works real good. You can make a boot CD from it. Or mount a backup like a hard drive. Sort of like WHS does. Can set to wright to it too. It will just make a small add on backup file with the changes if you wright back to the backup. So you still have the old one.

You can test it for free. So if any one can't boot after a restore. Back it up with TIB and then restore with WHS and if it don't boot then use the TIB and restore the MBR and see it that will make it boot. Then we will know if WHS is the error.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:46 AM