Free Trial verses Subscription RRS feed

• Question

• I stumbled onto Microsoft Live when I was looking for a way to deal with the April Fool's Day worm in case my computer was infected. I down loaded the program to scan. Microsoft Live did a scan that took several hours and found multiple problems. I was very impressed by the overall experience. Then to my surprise/delight, I'm being offered a 90 day free trial. Fantastic!!!! Sign me up!!! I go to register and fill out all of the required information, and then I am asked for my payment information. OK, WHY AM I BEING ASKED FOR SPECIFIC PAYMENT INFO IF I HAVE A 90 DAY FREE TRIAL?? So, I rationalize that Microsoft must want the payment info now to be able to automatically set payment in 90 days! That's it!! Lots of places do it this way. I enter the pertinent info and finalize the subscription and I think my trial went directly to payment.  What went wrong??? I was impressed by the thoroughness of the scan and repair and the price to subscribe for a year, but the 90 day free trial I was offered would have been nice as well. I went to contact customer support and it keeps going around in circles.  So, here I am, posting this problem for discussion. WHERE, OH WHERE IS MY 90 DAY FREE TRIAL AND WHERE IS CUSTOMER SUPPORT SO THAT I CAN ASK THEM WHERE MY FREE TRIAL IS?
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 4:20 AM

Answers

• When you install the trial version of OneCare, it still suggests that you subscribe. Once you do that, the trial period has ended. I'm sorry that this wasn't clear to you when you clicked the Subscribe link in OneCare. The only way to revert to a free trial at this point would be to cancel your subscription by contacting support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    *AND* then formatting the PC, reinstalling Windows and then OneCare, which is way more than I would recommend to get a few months for free. Note that your OneCare subscription will be fully supported until April of 2010, but long before that you will be offered a transition to a new free antimalware only program, Morro. OneCare will not be able to be renewed when your current subscription expires.
    Personally, I'd leave everything as it is and continue using your paid subscription for the full 12 months and not be concerned about the trial period - especially since you like the program. You can install it on up to 2 more computers and activate those installs with the same LiveID you used to start your subscription.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 12:00 PM