none
how do i install outlook 2007 with BCM on WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I recently purchased three licences of outlook 2007 with BCM (from amazon.co.uk) with the intention of having 2 licences installed on client computers and one licence installed on WHS purely to house the BCM database. I will not be using any of the other functionality of outlook on WHS. I want the 2 client pc's to then sync with the BCM database on WHS.

So far I have managed to install the licences on the 2 clients no problem but i cannot for the life of me see how to install it on the server. How do I do this? I cannot find a trial download of outlook 2007 with BCM anywhere. on the microsoft site they offer at several different locations a link to a trial download of outlook 2007 with BCm and everytime a coconut it then takes you to a trial download of the full office system 2007 which i do not want and which I guess will not work because it will not work with my licence key that I purchased for outlook 2007 with BCM. 

I also spoke to a tech at fujitsu siemens (My WHS is a scaleo) and he said that it was not possible to plug in an external DVD drive as this will create problems and try to add itself to the storage pool.

any ideas on this?
    Friday, June 5, 2009 12:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Angus,
    it is safe to attach an external drive, if it is safe to install software, which is not designed explicitely for WHS, is another matter.
    Using a shared folder with folder duplication on for a database is a bad idea, since the database will usually keep the file open and so the duplication will fail.

For such siituations I would recommend to use a disk outside of the storage pool (or if there is no other way a folder in the root of drive D: outside of the WHS controlled folders) and setup a script, which creates a backup of the database to one of the shared folders every night (stopping database service, copying the files and starting the database service). Remember that this is also unsupported.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, June 5, 2009 1:32 PM

All replies

• Installing any applications like this on Windows Home Server is not supported.
    Given the fact, that the C: drive (where BCM would put it's database, I think) is not offering too much free space and is wiped in case of a server reinstall this would not be a good idea at all. It's also not clear, if there will not be messed up any settings and permissions, which are critical for WHS components.

This being said, you can share the DVD drive on one of your clients and access the DVD from the server desktop via this share.
    The sentence of the tech is wrong - an external DVD drive will never be added to the storage pool (and also a harddisk doesn't do it automatically unless during initial installation of WHS).

Olaf
    Friday, June 5, 2009 1:07 PM
  • Hi Olaf

First of all I would like to thank you for responding to my question.

I have read on Microsofts website that the WHS is designed for home use AND small business use. This is why I bought the WHS in the first place, primarily for my small home business so I would imagine that this kind of functionality would be possible and expected. I was planning on shifting/installing the BCM database into the shared MY DOCUMENTS folder where I have plenty of space. (as far as I am aware when launching outlok 2007 for the first time it then walks you through a BCM setupe wizard where you can decide where it will save the database. I guess this is the point at which I would point it at MY DOCUMENTS. I also have folder duplication turned on which I thought would be an ideal way of protecting my valuable database data as well.  I bought the server with 2 x 500 gig drives and I have also installed 2 x 1TB drives so I definately have enough room.

thanks for the tip about sharing the dvd drive. if i decide to go ahead and install outlook 2007 + BCM on WHS I will attempt to use this method.

so do I understand correclty that it is then possible and safe to attach an external dvd drive to WHS to install software for example my outlook 2007??

regards

angus
    Friday, June 5, 2009 1:20 PM
  • Hi Angus,
    it is safe to attach an external drive, if it is safe to install software, which is not designed explicitely for WHS, is another matter.
    Using a shared folder with folder duplication on for a database is a bad idea, since the database will usually keep the file open and so the duplication will fail.

For such siituations I would recommend to use a disk outside of the storage pool (or if there is no other way a folder in the root of drive D: outside of the WHS controlled folders) and setup a script, which creates a backup of the database to one of the shared folders every night (stopping database service, copying the files and starting the database service). Remember that this is also unsupported.

Olaf
    Friday, June 5, 2009 1:32 PM
  • hey olaf

once again thanks for the excellent help

i have just noticed it is possible for me to create another folder on WHS with folder duplication turned off. I mistakenly thought that folder duplication could only be configured at the root directory level but i now see i can do it per folder.

i understand what you mean when you say that this software has not been tested on WHS so obvioulsy i do this at my own risk but i think it will be ok. i have read about many other users who have installed all sorts of software including outlook on whs with no problems.

I am not too worried if i cannot duplicate the folder with my BCM database because the databse will be sitting on 2 other pc's anyway so it will always be safe even if the server crashes. i can then just reload the database from one of the clients and all the data will be there because it is all synced... (does what I am saying make sense?) I always like to get a 2nd opinion about my thoughts.. :)

angus
    Friday, June 5, 2009 2:30 PM