none
Next move after MCDST, Need academic guidance RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

My name is Vincent and I wondering if anyone could help?

I received my first ever i.t qualifications in 2010 when i was 18 at an i.t academy (Advanced Apprenticeship).
    2 of which were the MCDST and the COMPTIA A+

(I did not take the COMPTIA N+ as I really wasn’t too keen on networking at the time and it also was an optional exam)

I also achieved the City & Guilds Level 3 NVQ for I.T Professionals and the City & Guilds Level 3 Advanced Diploma for IT Practitioners,

I would like to further my knowledge but am unclear on my next move.

I am not sure what to study - maybe the MCSA or the MCSE, MCTS:WIN7 Configuration or maybe upgrade my MCDST to an MCITP?

I do not have any knowledge what so ever around windows servers, exchange, SQL and AD etc. as they were not covered in my I.T training but I wouldn’t mind going down this path as I am very interested.

I would really prefer to do and to learn more about things like operating systems and installation, deployment of o/s and hardware configuration etc.

I don’t really like the programming and web-developing side of I.T; due to the fact I tried for a software engineering degree at university but left due to me not liking JAVA and actually realising I am more interested in the technical side.

i would very much prefer classroom training if avalible in London.

Can someone please help guide me or offer me any sort of advice on what I should do?

Much appreciated
    Vinny.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 3:45 AM

Answers

• Hi Vincent,

I would recommend that you don't waste your time with MCSA or MCSE, because they are outdated.

You should go for a MCITP exam. These exams are for IT professionals (Windows Server, SQL Server, etc.), not really for developers (what you want to have, like I understand). If you want to upgrade your existing MCDST have a look at this site for the upgrade paths.

Best Regards. Please Mark Answered, If my solution solves your problem.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 10:27 AM
    Answerer