Surface Pro - Hotfix KB2781272 RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the Hotfix KB2781272 and tested it with a 128GB Surface Pro...here is what I found.

- The Surface Pro has had the recovery partition moved to a USB Drive.

I have two partitions that show on the configure backups windows under WHS 2011 for the Surface Pro, Windows RE Tools and Windows C:. When I select both partitions the backup fails with Insufficient Storage for the Backup. I then removed the Windows RE Tools from the backup and the backup for Windows C: completes with no-errors. This is a step forward.

I created a new USB WHS Key after I installed the hotfix and tested it in a non-GTP machine and it works as expected. When I try to boot the Surface Pro from the key I first recieved an error that the USB key has in invalid secure boot key. I then disabled the Surface Pro secure boot control and tried again...this time it fails with Windows Boot Manager - Windows Failed to Start.

So unless I am missing something the hotfix does now allow the C partition to be backup but BMR is not viable.

Am I missing something?

Friday, March 1, 2013 4:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Regarding the current issue, I suggest we’d better ask in the Surface forum for help.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro?tm=1362534754198

Thanks for your understand.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Andy Qi Wednesday, March 6, 2013 1:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Friday, March 8, 2013 9:58 AM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 8:31 AM
  • Hey...  Yeah, unfortunately the WHS 2011 recovery CD cannot boot the Surface Pro... But there's a simple workaround.   Use Windows To Go... Install win 8 or 7 in a .vhd on a USB stick and boot to it.     Now you are in a full Windows environment and can run the WHS ClientRestoreWizaard.exe and perform the BMR on the Surface Pro...     This procedure also work for WHS v1 for difficult to boot machines (like the Samsung Slate 7 which only has a WIFI and the v1 restore cd provided no drivers for it).
    • Proposed as answer by ArtieMcD Sunday, May 26, 2013 4:54 PM
    Sunday, May 26, 2013 4:54 PM
  • I installed the Hotfix KB2781272 and tested it with a 128GB Surface Pro...here is what I found.

- The Surface Pro has had the recovery partition moved to a USB Drive.

I have two partitions that show on the configure backups windows under WHS 2011 for the Surface Pro, Windows RE Tools and Windows C:. When I select both partitions the backup fails with Insufficient Storage for the Backup. I then removed the Windows RE Tools from the backup and the backup for Windows C: completes with no-errors. This is a step forward.

I created a new USB WHS Key after I installed the hotfix and tested it in a non-GTP machine and it works as expected. When I try to boot the Surface Pro from the key I first recieved an error that the USB key has in invalid secure boot key. I then disabled the Surface Pro secure boot control and tried again...this time it fails with Windows Boot Manager - Windows Failed to Start.

So unless I am missing something the hotfix does now allow the C partition to be backup but BMR is not viable.

Am I missing something?

BTW, along with my suggestion to use a Windows 8 to go USB key to perform the system restore on the Surface pro (The WHS boot USB will not work on the Surface pro)...      The other issue you are reporting is the fact the WHS 2011 client backup fails on the Surface pro when you try to backup all the drive partitions even with the UEFI hotfix installed... The issue is the Surface pro ships with the boot partition that is too small for the WinRE environment they loaded on it.     For some reason MS's failed to follow their own guidelines on how big to make the partition when they produced the image for the Surface pro...      So the client backup failes because the VSS snapshot on that partition fails due to there not being any space.     To fix this (and to be able to do bare metal backups and restores on the Surface pro) you need to increase the size of that first partition to be at least 900MB.  (It's only 600 in the MS image)..

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:16 PM