Missing files with duplication on. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've searched and can't seem to find an answer, so I hope someone can point me in the correct direction. I'm new to WHS and recently bought an Acer H340. Seems pretty nice so far and seems to suit the bill on what I need it for.

I have 2 x 1 TB drives. I put all my data on the device and turned on duplication on every share. The pie chart shows me that the duplication size is the same as the share sizes. As a test I decided to yank the secondary drive (while the device was off) and started it up. I see that WHS sees the missing drive and warns me about it, good!  Not so good was that I see file conflicts and seems that a bunch of data is missing (presumably on the second drive). I check for the missing files on the current shares and they show as there, however I cannot open them (just the tombstone pointers?). I thought the whole reason behind duplication (and not raid) was for redundancy without the hassle and complexities of RAID.

Is my WHS not balancing out the data correctly?

Spencer

Monday, May 3, 2010 5:58 AM

All replies

• From the WHS console, storage tab remove the disk that you physically removed. When finished your files should be accessible again through the shares.

Please note, if the disk you physically removed also contained (part of) your client backup database you may permanently loose all current client backups since these files aren't duplicated. If you don't need any files from these backups this should be no problem, you will however need to repair the client backup database and then run backup again for all clients.

If you want to know for sure if there any client backups on this disk simply mount the disk in a client and check if a folder named .\DE\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} is present (please note you need to have "view hidden files and folders" enabled to be able to see the hidden DE folder in the root of the drive)

Monday, May 3, 2010 10:39 AM