Two computers, two genuine copies of XP Pro. RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a desktop and a notebook. I also own two copies of Windows XP Professional SP2 English Version. One copy is originally issued by Microsoft (holographic CD), the other copy is labelled by Dell but it can be installed also on non-Dell computers. On my notebook I installed the MS copy, on the desktop the copy from Dell. Due to the complicated procedure of activation of the copy from Dell (each time the Customer Service must be phoned and a new "million-digit" Installation ID must be given) I'd like to install it on the notebook which I use much less than the desktop where now that Dell version is working.

What shall I do in order to switch the copies: from desktop into notebook, and from notebook into desktop and not to have any problems with activation of newly installed copies afterwards? Shall I inform Microsoft in some way, shall I uninstall both Windows systems?

Thursday, October 11, 2007 5:04 PM

Answers

• Szpoti,

If the laptop has a full retail license for XP installed, then you can uninstall XP, wipe the disk, and sell the laptop with no OS.  Then you can install your full retail license of XP on the next computer you buy.

If the laptop came with an OEM license for XP, then be advised that you are NOT permitted by the End User Licensing Agreement to uninstall that OEM license for XP and install it on another computer.  You can certainly remove the OEM installation for XP from the laptop and sell the laptop without an installed OS, but the LICENSE for XP stays with the laptop, and you are NOT permitted to install that license on any other computer other than that exact laptop.  So it would be kinda dumb to sell it without an OS under those circumstances.

Your "Dell" OEM copy of XP is invalid because you are not installing it on a Dell computer.

Monday, October 15, 2007 3:54 PM

All replies

• The Dell Windows XP Reinstallation CD can only be installed and activated on the Dell computer it came with originally.  It will not activate and/or remain activated on a non-Dell computer.

Clean Install Windows XP
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Thursday, October 11, 2007 5:10 PM
  • Thanks a lot!

And if I wanted to sell my notebook but keep the Windows copy which is currently installed on it?

Thursday, October 11, 2007 5:21 PM
  • If you were to sell your notebook with Windows XP already installed, you'll have to supply the new owner with the original Windows XP CD and Certificate of Authenticity.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 5:24 PM
  • Yes, this is obvious. But I want to sell only the notebook itself but KEEP the copy of Windows and install it on a new notebook. I don't want to transfer my license, just use it with a new computer. How can I de-activate Windows from the notebook which I am about to sell, and later activate it again on a new computer?

Thursday, October 11, 2007 5:30 PM
  • If you wish to sell your notebook without the Windows XP license, then you'll have to reformat the hard drive and sell it with no Windows XP operating system.

Download the trial version of DriveScrubber:
    http://www.iolo.com/ds/3/

Thursday, October 11, 2007 5:51 PM
  • Szpoti,

If the laptop has a full retail license for XP installed, then you can uninstall XP, wipe the disk, and sell the laptop with no OS.  Then you can install your full retail license of XP on the next computer you buy.

If the laptop came with an OEM license for XP, then be advised that you are NOT permitted by the End User Licensing Agreement to uninstall that OEM license for XP and install it on another computer.  You can certainly remove the OEM installation for XP from the laptop and sell the laptop without an installed OS, but the LICENSE for XP stays with the laptop, and you are NOT permitted to install that license on any other computer other than that exact laptop.  So it would be kinda dumb to sell it without an OS under those circumstances.

Your "Dell" OEM copy of XP is invalid because you are not installing it on a Dell computer.

Monday, October 15, 2007 3:54 PM