Really worried about this windows activation thing, need HELP FAST ! RRS feed

• Question

• I bought this computer 2 years ago, I have always downloaded any microsoft updates and service pack security downloads, and when it says its checking to see that I have an authentic version of windows..it always comes up that my computer is ok and the downloads proceed. 

The last update now gives me an error message that I have to activate it (windows) with a 25 digit code or my computer will not work "with windows" after 30 days.  The software was on the computer when I bought it, I never even saw a windows cd,,so I don't have any code to enter.  I don't know what to do now??  I'm a single parent on a liimited income, I saved up a long time to get this computer...$600 was a lot of money to shell out on something that I might not be able to use in 15 days.  I called where I got the computer, they say they can't help.... can anyone out there tell me what to do now?  Did I just get "had" and now will not be able to use this computer?  Thanks for any help you may be able to give me ~Sue
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:30 PM

Answers

• redneon3 said:

I bought this computer 2 years ago, I have always downloaded any microsoft updates and service pack security downloads, and when it says its checking to see that I have an authentic version of windows..it always comes up that my computer is ok and the downloads proceed. 

The last update now gives me an error message that I have to activate it (windows) with a 25 digit code or my computer will not work "with windows" after 30 days.  The software was on the computer when I bought it, I never even saw a windows cd,,so I don't have any code to enter.  I don't know what to do now??  I'm a single parent on a liimited income, I saved up a long time to get this computer...$600 was a lot of money to shell out on something that I might not be able to use in 15 days.  I called where I got the computer, they say they can't help.... can anyone out there tell me what to do now?  Did I just get "had" and now will not be able to use this computer?  Thanks for any help you may be able to give me ~Sue

This forum is for Windows Home Server.  You might want to try posting your question in either the XP or Vista forums.

Having said that, when you buy a PC, MS demands all OEMs give you a license key (usually it's on a sticker that is attached on the front/side/back of the computer).  You could try looking for the key there.  (Also, you wouldn't be the first person bit by the WGA claiming your copy of Windows is not valid, when, in fact, it is.)
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 9:45 PM