What the advantage of this Sync Framework RRS feed

• Question

• I checked how to implement this sync. And it seems to me that there is ALOT of code involved and schema change. what the advantage of using this framework? cuz it seems to me that it's the same as writing your own sync because the sync framework need you to add so many thing in the DB, columns, tombstones, store procedures of all insert, update, delete ..... I mean, if I wanted to write my own synchronization I'll end up doing the same thing as implementing the sync framework....

What the plus factor in using this sync framework?
    • Moved by Hengzhe Li Friday, April 22, 2011 7:56 AM (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Friday, October 24, 2008 7:22 PM

Answers

• Godaddy, if you are conteplating between Sync framework and Merge replication, then the choice is really upto you.

With Merge replication, you get a packaged solution. You have to create a publication, add articles etc and live by its rules to manage replication of data. That is suitable for some cases.

With Sync framework, the user has a lot more flexibility and choice in governing what to sync, how to sync, what actions to take etc programatically. Hence it is another choice for some others. Additionally Sync framework is more genreic and not limited to relational data. It can sync files, or any other custom data. Basically it is a data agnostic framework. Relational providers are a specific set of providers for synchronizng relation data. Users can write their own custom providers to sync any other kind of data they wish to.

Friday, October 31, 2008 6:30 AM

All replies

• You may want to check out the following article that describes some of the advantages of the Sync Framework with a focus on our database scenarios:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sync/bb887608.aspx

You might want to also check out the Visual Studio 2008 sync designer which eases some of the burned associated with adding offline capabilities into your application.  Finally, you can reduce the amount of schema modification that has to occur by leveraging the SQL Server 2008 change tracking feature.

Sean Kelley

Program Manager

Microsoft

Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:26 AM
  • I still think that's alot of things to do, alot of tombstone tables, triggers, modifying the schema on the server side, adding store procedure for each SQL statement( select, update, delete) ... it seems its alot alot alot to do, to support sync.

It seem that the merge replication may be a better option?????

I'm just wondering is it really worth it to use the sync framework.
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 1:11 AM
  • Using Sync Framework you have to:
    1. Make some DB modification(fields, triggers, tombstones)
    2. Specify What data must synchronize and How.
    3. Specify how conflicts must be handled.
    4. Add synchronization management logic (call SyncAgent.Synchronize(), receive statistics etc)

Using your custom technic you have to:
    1. Make some DB modification(fields, triggers, tombstones)
    2. Implement and test your custom synchronization logic
    3. Implement and test your conflicts handling mechanism
    4. If your application will use a few synchronisation types (such from XML to DB, from MS Outlook Contacts to DB) you have to implement and test this all for each synchronisation type.

As result I think that investigate and use Sync Framework is easier task than implement custom synchronization
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:47 AM
  • Godaddy, if you are conteplating between Sync framework and Merge replication, then the choice is really upto you.

With Merge replication, you get a packaged solution. You have to create a publication, add articles etc and live by its rules to manage replication of data. That is suitable for some cases.

With Sync framework, the user has a lot more flexibility and choice in governing what to sync, how to sync, what actions to take etc programatically. Hence it is another choice for some others. Additionally Sync framework is more genreic and not limited to relational data. It can sync files, or any other custom data. Basically it is a data agnostic framework. Relational providers are a specific set of providers for synchronizng relation data. Users can write their own custom providers to sync any other kind of data they wish to.

Friday, October 31, 2008 6:30 AM