sil 3112 / 750Gb sata disk compatible ? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Trying to add a 750Gb Seagate to a Sil 3112a controller card

(bios ver 4.1.50) -  on the boot screen where it lists what is attached

to the Sil card it lists the primary drive + size, along with the secondary drive

(750Gb) - but instead of the size of the secondary drive it just shows a flashing cursor.

Is this normal ?  It's been like that for a while now....

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 6:53 PM

Answers

• I use the PCI to SATA  SATA300 TX4302 from Promise and it is rock solid.
    It has 2 eSATA ports (external SATA) and 2-port internal Serial ATA adapter. 
    I have 2 of the Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750GB drives connected by eSATA.  They are fast like internal drives but easy to hookup like USB.  They are also nice if your server case doesn't have room for any more internal drives (like mine) but you still want the faster transfer speeds.

Good luck,
    Shaun
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 1:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Many reported problem with that controller chip on sata2 drives, like that 750gb one.

Can you force that drive to be sata1? from the outside pins I think you can, if you look in the website for that hard disk brand regarding the outside pins jumppers.

But again, it only issue with some motherboard than the others. Also some reported it work all fine if no pata enable in bios.

It all depended on the motherboard issue as it seem with that sata controller.

My best.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 9:34 PM
  •  Tried that, didn't make any difference.   Oh well, now I have an excuse to look for yet

another SATA controller card....  Smile

Friday, July 20, 2007 2:36 PM
  •  Ian Hx wrote:

Tried that, didn't make any difference. Oh well, now I have an excuse to look for yet

another SATA controller card....

Good idea indeed!

Really, a good controller is a must, after all, motherboard build-in controller hardly good for desktop users Smile

My best.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 6:08 PM
  •  Ian Hx wrote:

Tried that, didn't make any difference. Oh well, now I have an excuse to look for yet

another SATA controller card....

Before you replace the controller, check your mainboard for the newest BIOS and upgrade it if available. Often a newer BIOS will support larger HDDs.

Friday, July 20, 2007 6:26 PM
  • ...  assuming that the motherboard isn't so old that it only has PATA connections....   Smile
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 7:22 AM
  •  Ian Hx wrote:
    ... assuming that the motherboard isn't so old that it only has PATA connections....

That could explain the lack of 750G drive support. So, no newer BIOS then? I assume you've checked the website of the card and looked for it's drivers and BIOS? Have you sent them an e-mail asking about large drive support? You could try another controller but it may not work. It is your money but you might want to try the free things first. Wink

Saturday, July 21, 2007 6:12 PM
  • I use the PCI to SATA  SATA300 TX4302 from Promise and it is rock solid.
    It has 2 eSATA ports (external SATA) and 2-port internal Serial ATA adapter. 
    I have 2 of the Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750GB drives connected by eSATA.  They are fast like internal drives but easy to hookup like USB.  They are also nice if your server case doesn't have room for any more internal drives (like mine) but you still want the faster transfer speeds.

Good luck,
    Shaun
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 1:36 AM
  • I'm looking for a good controller card for my old box now serving as a "windows home server".

I already have the Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750GB drive. I have also had several Promise controller cards in the past with very good experience. My question to you is:

On the page you are pointing to (http://www.promise.com/product/product_detail_eng.asp?product_id=168), it says: 

"Supports up to 2TB of storage per controller (500GB HDD x 4-ports)"

I read that as if it will only support drives up to 500GB. But you're saying you can utilize all 750GB of the drive?

Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:57 AM
  • Here's a screenshot of when I first installed WHS CTP.  I can use all 750GB (698GB actual) of each drive.  However, I only have two drives connected so I have not exceeded 2TB.  I do have a 3rd 750GB Freeagent Pro but I use it for video editing and do not currently plan to connect it to my WHS.

My guess is that at the time Promise released this card that 500GB was the largest drive available so 4 ports X 500GB = 2TB.  I would e-mail Promise for clarification if you plan to exceed 2TB though.

Cheers,
    Shaun

Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:11 PM
  • Thanks for your answer Shaun! I have e-mailed Promise and let's hope they are as responsive as you are.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:25 PM
  • Thanks for the info - now have a Promise TX4302 installed and it picked

up the 750Gb without any fuss.

Ian

Monday, July 30, 2007 3:57 PM