Hardware compatibility to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to WHS, I would like  to install WHS on my T41 Thinkpad and use 1 ext hard disk connected to the T41 via a PCMCIA card with sata interface. I have a few questions:

1. can the WHS recognise this hard disk and use it as ext. hard disk for backup purposes and all the other features from WHS?
    2. My PCMCIA card is recognised  by Win XP and mostly lightly not by Win 7. Is the WHS based on XP platform? I heard the WHS does support that many different hardware.
    3. I assume WHS is a stand alone OS and I don't need another OS preinstalled first. The WHS I am interested in is this,

Thanks to those who responded

Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:24 AM

Answers

• I recommend rather strongly against using a laptop as a Windows Home Server computer. Laptops have no room for expansion (adding storage is basically impossible other than through a USB drive), often has thermal issues, are generally not designed to run server-class operating systems, and Windows Home Server is not designed for use as a desktop operating system.

If you want to use a laptop as a testbed to evaluate the product, that's probably okay (though all the above still apply, presumably you will move off the laptop at some point). But don't move it into production as your home server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by ttan98 Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:46 PM
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 2:09 PM
  • I am new to WHS, I would like  to install WHS on my T41 Thinkpad and use 1 ext hard disk connected to the T41 via a PCMCIA card with sata interface. I have a few questions:

1. can the WHS recognise this hard disk and use it as ext. hard disk for backup purposes and all the other features from WHS?
    2. My PCMCIA card is recognised  by Win XP and mostly lightly not by Win 7. Is the WHS based on XP platform? I heard the WHS does support that many different hardware.
    3. I assume WHS is a stand alone OS and I don't need another OS preinstalled first. The WHS I am interested in is this,

As Ken said, you shouldn't use a laptop as its permanent home (testing would probably work though).  But to answer your questions:

1)  I don't see why not (as long as you provide the drivers for the PCMCIA card).
    2)  WHS is written on top of Windows Server 2003.
    3)  Correct.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 4:59 PM

All replies

• I recommend rather strongly against using a laptop as a Windows Home Server computer. Laptops have no room for expansion (adding storage is basically impossible other than through a USB drive), often has thermal issues, are generally not designed to run server-class operating systems, and Windows Home Server is not designed for use as a desktop operating system.

If you want to use a laptop as a testbed to evaluate the product, that's probably okay (though all the above still apply, presumably you will move off the laptop at some point). But don't move it into production as your home server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 2:09 PM

As Ken said, you shouldn't use a laptop as its permanent home (testing would probably work though).  But to answer your questions:

1)  I don't see why not (as long as you provide the drivers for the PCMCIA card).
    2)  WHS is written on top of Windows Server 2003.
    3)  Correct.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 4:59 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, Ken and Kariya.

I understand that laptop is not an idea machine to be used as server. I like to use it for these reasons:

1. very compact and it comes with a built-in screen.
    2. I can extend storage with 2 additional sata drives via the PCMCIA card attached to the laptop. There is a PCMCIA card on Ebay that claims to
        operate with Windows Server.
    3. I don't power up the server 24 hours a day, only switched on from hibernation(is this feature available
        from WHS?) I need to back up not more than a few hours a day.
    4. I have an extra laptop to use as a server hence saves money in buying another piece of hardware.

I will try to this configuration once I obtain all the parts. I expect it to work, on reliability I have a few queries:

1. I suspect the reliability of 2.5" drive(*) which holds the Server software only may not be as good as an external 5.25" drive(s) which I intend to 
        hold all my data. Is my suspicion correct if so can any one recommend a hard drive with excellent reliability which is still on sale, I
        think the WD drives are quite good but which models.

All comments are welcomed. Thanks.

* if it fails I still have my data.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:23 AM
  • Hi, 

I managed to get my laptop to work as a WHS, the configuration is as follows:

1. PCMCIA card connects to laptop with esata( some PCMCIA has sata interface)interface. Connect an     

external  harddisk(320G) to this interface. The PCMCIA comes with driver S/W which is compatible

with the WHS OS. The OS recognizes the card as SCSI interface. I can use it a backup

storage or as an expanded storage.

2. I used an 80Gb harddisk  running the WHS software. 20 G for OS and about 55G for storage.

I am happy with the setup and it worked very well, set up as 4 users and more if I want to.

I am using laptop as a server because of these reasons:

1. I have a spare laptop (Thinkpad R61 with Dual core), saves money getting another piece of hardware.

2. low power consumption, battery backup on power failure.

3. no need to use a separate screen during maintenance.

4. I don't use to run it 24/7 even though this laptop is capable of doing that.

5.  very compact can put it anywhere.

There you are a successful implementation.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:14 PM