Advanced Find: Find all empty Acounts. Meaning accounts with no contacts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have a problem.

We want to find all accounts, which doesnt have a relation with any contacts.

How do we do that?

We can find all accounts that does have minimium one relation to a contact
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 10:57 AM

Answers

• this is a classic example of a "not" question.  You can't really do it with advanced find.
    Advanced find is good for finding what data is in CRM, not what data is not in CRM

For example, I can say get me all companies that have ordered product X, but I can't say Get me all accounts that have not ordered product X.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

1.  Use a marketing list.  First step, add accounts as member where account status=active.  Then use advanced find to remove members where related contact contains data

2.  Use a pivot table.  Export out your contacts, making sure to display the company name column.  Group your rows by account name and for your data value do a count of contactid (just drag the contactid to the data block on the pivot table wizard--it will default to count).
    Then you can use Excel filtering to just show those accounts where the #contacts is blank.

I wrote about this in my "Poor Man's Business intelligence blog post here: http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2008/12/poor-mans-business-intelligence-for-microsoft-dynamics-crm.html

• Marked as answer by Martin Torp Wednesday, May 6, 2009 11:19 AM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 4:38 PM

All replies

• this is a classic example of a "not" question.  You can't really do it with advanced find.
    Advanced find is good for finding what data is in CRM, not what data is not in CRM

For example, I can say get me all companies that have ordered product X, but I can't say Get me all accounts that have not ordered product X.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

1.  Use a marketing list.  First step, add accounts as member where account status=active.  Then use advanced find to remove members where related contact contains data

2.  Use a pivot table.  Export out your contacts, making sure to display the company name column.  Group your rows by account name and for your data value do a count of contactid (just drag the contactid to the data block on the pivot table wizard--it will default to count).
    Then you can use Excel filtering to just show those accounts where the #contacts is blank.

I wrote about this in my "Poor Man's Business intelligence blog post here: http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2008/12/poor-mans-business-intelligence-for-microsoft-dynamics-crm.html

• Marked as answer by Martin Torp Wednesday, May 6, 2009 11:19 AM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Thanks very much..

I went for option number 1 and it did the trick..
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 11:20 AM