Money Sunset version running on Windows 7 does not accept .mny file produced on Windows Vista PC RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Microsoft´s sunset version of money on my laptop that uses Windows Vista. When I try to use the .mny file produced on the Vista laptop as input for Money Sunset running on my other laptop, that uses Windows 7, it will not accept it. It starts up normally, asking for my id and password. Then, somewhere in the initiation process, it suddenly returns to the login screen. It does not provide an error message. What could be the problem? Can anybody help me?
    Friday, August 6, 2010 1:54 PM

Answers

• You could try making a repaired version of your file with  File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2 to see if that made the file work better.

You could also try setting your regional settings in Windows to what they were when the file was created. I don't know if that could help or not.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:58 PM

All replies

• I don't know if this will help, but here is what I would start with.

I would first make sure your *.mny file is not within the ProgramFiles folder. Instead put it somewhere such as your Documents folder.

Then start Money by right-clicking the Money launch icon, and choosing RunAsAdministrator. See if you can then open your Money file.

Friday, August 6, 2010 2:49 PM
  • Thank you Cal. I tried your suggenstions but unfortunately it did not change anything.
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 9:42 AM
  • I would take the LiveID off of the file on the Vista machine. Then copy that file to a USB flash drive, and in turn copy the file to the Documents folder on the Windows 7 machine.  You could put a conventional password on the file.

To do LiveID and password changes, see File->PasswordManager

Sunday, August 8, 2010 3:52 PM
  • Thank you again Cal. I returned to using Money Deluxe 2007 on the Vista machine. And also installed it on the Windows 7 machine. It turned out that the exact same thing happened when trying to use the .mny file. So it is not just the Sunset version that has this problem. I tried to remove the Windows LiveID from the file on the Vista machine but for some reason it refuses to do so. When I try I get the response that the ID was not removed and to try again. Which I did, several times, with no success.

I have to add that the Vista machine is using an English language version of Vista and the Windows 7 machine came with a Spanish language version, as I am now living in Spain. It seems improbable that this can cause problems but who knows?

Thanks again for your interest.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:09 PM
  • You could try making a repaired version of your file with  File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2 to see if that made the file work better.

You could also try setting your regional settings in Windows to what they were when the file was created. I don't know if that could help or not.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:58 PM
  • Hello Cal,

You were right. Setting the regional settings to those of the original file removed the problem. Thanks a lot. Wim

Sunday, August 29, 2010 1:42 PM