none
OS drive failed. Trying to do a reinstall. RRS feed

• Question

• First I tried to do a reinstall on the existing drive, but the reinstall option was not there. After several reboots and retries I removed all other drives, installed a new drive and did a full install to it.
    Rebooted and tried to do a reinstall then. The option was now there.
    Turned the server off without making any changes.
    Added the other drives back in (minus the original OS drive)
    Rebooted with the install dvd again.
    No reinstall option. Shut down again and removed the drives again.
    Reinstall option back again . . .
    Several installs and reinstalls later, I still can't get my original data back.
    I've tried everything I can think of now.
    Any help?  There's 4TB of data there, no place to copy it all to to start over . . .

Thanks!
    --Pete

Saturday, May 2, 2009 10:11 PM

Answers

• So, I partially see the problem. When I add the other drives, the OS drive shows up as "E:". Not sure how that happened. It seems to show up in the right order in the drive list tho.

--P

If you have your replacement drive connected to the first SATA port on your mobo (and you have the SATA ports set to IDE/Legacy mode), plus you provide the additional drivers for the 4 drives connected to the SATA controller card (so that you can see all 7 drives on the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen), you should get the Server Reinstallation option.  If it doesn't show up at that point, you could try filing a bug report on Connect.
    Monday, May 4, 2009 1:28 AM
  • Hi,
    with SATA drives and drivers you will see a few variables, which come into the game:
    • the physical connection of the disk to the SATA ports
    • the availibility and priority of drivers loaded (since SATA drivers are not part of the Windows WHS installation disk
    • the boot sequence determined by the Bios.

Each of them can have an influence, if the disk is found in the proper position.

In case you can't pull the pieces together in the reinstall process, the FAQ How to recover data after server failure should help you to go on.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, May 4, 2009 7:36 AM

All replies

• First I tried to do a reinstall on the existing drive, but the reinstall option was not there. After several reboots and retries I removed all other drives, installed a new drive and did a full install to it.
    Rebooted and tried to do a reinstall then. The option was now there.
    Turned the server off without making any changes.
    Added the other drives back in (minus the original OS drive)
    Rebooted with the install dvd again.
    No reinstall option. Shut down again and removed the drives again.
    Reinstall option back again . . .
    Several installs and reinstalls later, I still can't get my original data back.
    I've tried everything I can think of now.
    Any help?  There's 4TB of data there, no place to copy it all to to start over . . .

Thanks!
    --Pete

First thing I would do is go back to your original primary hard drive with all secondary drives attached.  When you have the hardware configured like that, do you see all of the hard drives in the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen?  What are the specifics of your hardware (primarily the hard drive types and which one is the primary drive)?
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 10:34 PM
  • There are 3 drives attached to the motherboard, all sata. The OS drive and 2 - 1.5TB drives. These are all seen by the install without drivers.
    There are 4 drives on the Add-On sata card. These aren't seen until I add the drivers.
    When I go back to the original drive and run the install. I get to the load drivers screen and have to add drivers for a sata add-on card to see the attached drives.

The OS is hosed on the original drive. Won't boot.

--Pete
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 10:43 PM
  • So, I partially see the problem. When I add the other drives, the OS drive shows up as "E:". Not sure how that happened. It seems to show up in the right order in the drive list tho.

--P
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 10:59 PM

--P

If you have your replacement drive connected to the first SATA port on your mobo (and you have the SATA ports set to IDE/Legacy mode), plus you provide the additional drivers for the 4 drives connected to the SATA controller card (so that you can see all 7 drives on the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen), you should get the Server Reinstallation option.  If it doesn't show up at that point, you could try filing a bug report on Connect.
    Monday, May 4, 2009 1:28 AM
  • Hi,
    with SATA drives and drivers you will see a few variables, which come into the game:
    • the physical connection of the disk to the SATA ports
    • the availibility and priority of drivers loaded (since SATA drivers are not part of the Windows WHS installation disk
    • the boot sequence determined by the Bios.

Each of them can have an influence, if the disk is found in the proper position.

In case you can't pull the pieces together in the reinstall process, the FAQ How to recover data after server failure should help you to go on.

Olaf

Monday, May 4, 2009 7:36 AM

• I put all the drives back in, in the correct order and got the reinstallation option.
    It seemed to go ok until after it rebooted. Now has an error when "Finalizing installation"
    "Continuing to configure storage failed: The system cannot find the path specified. (Error code 0x80070003)."
    I've looked up that error and no one seems to have been able to recover from it.

I guess it's a full rebuild for me.

I know the data is still on the other drives . . . How do I recover it?

--Pete

Hi Olaf! I got the photos you took at the summit. Nice work!
    Monday, May 4, 2009 12:07 PM
  • Hi Pete,
    how to access the data in a manual recovery process is described in the linked FAQ in my previous answer. You will need a free disk, which can at least take the data in shared folders from one disk (or use storage on a client PC for this temporary).
    The error message you get could point either to issues with the drivers or to disks missing due to other reasons (did you have an external drive connected as part of the storage pool, which is now disconnected?) Or a disk cannot be read or recognized as WHS disk any more.
    Olaf
    Monday, May 4, 2009 2:46 PM