For all you who think it's DX10 or Steam RRS feed

• General discussion

• It just doesn't make sense. To find anything even close to the cause of a problem you have to find a common factor that all the people affected by the problem shares. Neither DX10 nor Steam are common to all the people.

But why is it common to so many people? Simple, this is a user forum, not everyone comes here. You could easily draw a corrolation between people who play Steam, upgrade DX10, and people who post in these forums, a corrolation, however, does not prove a cause and effect relationship. It doesn't even suggest one if the corrolation is not observed in 100% of the sample (the people experiencing the problem).

What might be a better possible cause then? It'll be really hard for us to guess because we can only see corrolations, and as I said earlier, a mere corrolation does not prove a cause and effect relationship. The best we can do is to find possible causes from corrolations which suggest a causation. That corrolation which suggests will necesarily have to be common to everyone experiencing the problems.

<ignore>What am I thinking of? Check your Windows update logs, there should be an update unnoticed by most people (including myself until a while ago), a WU client update done silently, automatically.</ignore>

It's not any recent (as in within the past few days) windows update problem.

The other thing that we all have in common is........ *drumroll* Windows Genuine Validation servers! I'm actually leaning toward this one, it's probably some problem with MS's validation servers.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 3:35 AM

All replies

• I agree - I did *NOT* download DX10 and have no idea what Steam is!

The only thing I did was download a Windows Defender update and 2 other updates - both small and then this dreaded error happened again.

I wish someone from Microsoft (Windows Validation employee and not one of the gratuituous moderator comments) issues a notice in this forum and on microsoft.com (and yahoo, prnewswire, Associated Press, Reuters, etc) that they have bungled the Vista patch and are working furiously on a patch.

Someone should definitely get fired for this sort of a defect.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 3:39 AM
  •  

Someone better get fired for this. People dont spend money to have windows lock them out of the featurest they paid for.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 4:32 AM
  •  

Looks like I'm the latest victim of Microsoft being complete inept (for a change).  I'm about to just trash Vista altogether and go back to XP.  This is completely unacceptable.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 4:36 AM

• <ignore>What am I thinking of? Check your Windows update logs, there should be an update unnoticed by most people (including myself until a while ago), a WU client update done silently, automatically.</ignore>

Yes, I was thinking the same. The WU Client went up a slight version increment about 24 hours ago. Updates to any of the Windows update components are usually flagged as mandatory, so explains the silent automatic download. Difficult to say for sure though, since the performance and reliability update is the first I have tried to download for a while that has needed to run the genuine validation process.    It's too coincidental though, being within 24 hours of the WU client update, if it had been one of the August security updates, we would have had the problem last week.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 5:49 AM
  • Some people have not had the WU Client update installed yet though, so it can't be the problem.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 5:58 AM